Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Eh? Can someone explain what gallo means?
On the face of it, each parent contributes a random 50% of its genetics to each of its offspring, ... ?

Best - exop

Quote:
I'd think it sounder to try this method with several purebred males, or several lines of purebred males, in keeping with the goal of increasing vigor and genetic diversity in your gene pool.

Last edited:
Quote:
Games have always been represented by a multitude of color variations and a combination of those variations which do not breed true. Throughout the years they were given names by English, Irish and Spanish cockers. Those names sometimes correspond to fancier names: BBR or Brown Red and sometimes do not: such as Grey and Duckwing.

Quote:
Games have always been represented by a multitude of color variations and a combination of those variations which do not breed true. Throughout the years they were given names by English, Irish and Spanish cockers. Those names sometimes correspond to fancier names: BBR or Brown Red and sometimes do not: such as Grey and Duckwing.

Ahhh, I see said the blindman..........and the fact that they do not always breed true is also a seperate question: so they are created by breeding one true breed to another to creat a hybred...Ok I think I get it.
How you cockers keep it all staright...?
Thanks !

Quote:
I'd think it sounder to try this method with several purebred males, or several lines of purebred males, in keeping with the goal of increasing vigor and genetic diversity in your gene pool.

I think that is wise, to avoid alot of other possible problems as well, like physical anomolies.

Varieties that breed true have names be they from the old cocking community or from the fanciers world. Colorations that don't breed true do not have names.

However, with that said, at times they are named by the predominate coloration. Thus, a Black Game may have red or even white in it, but if it is predominately Black then it is generally called Black.

Quote:
Eh? Can someone explain what gallo means?
On the face of it, each parent contributes a random 50% of its genetics to each of its offspring, ... ?

Best - exop

Gallo is Spanish and Italian for cock. They come from the Latin Gallus for the same. Gallus gallus is the scientific name for red jungle fowl, which is believed be the progenitor of gallus domesticus, which is our doemestic fowl in all of its lovely forms.

Last edited:
I should have said, what gallo4319 means, ... as I was referring to the 75% figure.

Best - exop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom