Old and Rare Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by saladin, Jan 8, 2011.

1. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see anything wrong with keeping a male line pure, as well as keeping a female line pure, as well as keeping birds that are out of cousin crosses, and birds that are off the original cross and a F4, etc. You can always go back to a pure male. But either way is okay. Depending on what you want out of the cross. I like to breed stags back to the mama. Which is opposite, but it works for me.

2. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I haven't seen any modern games in this thread there rare and old and there are only 5-6 breeders in Canada i will be 6-7 lol

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    My cream Brabanters went into the incubators this morning. It's my first hatch, and I'm very excited. It's going to be a long three weeks. I am hatching some, and a more experienced friend is hatching some, so I don't have all my eggs in one basket.

4. gallo4319

gallo4319 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Quote:best using the mother, the reason is because the mama provides a 75% of her genetics good or bad.
    thats why we need to be very careful selecting our breed seeds
    Im not saying the using the papa is bad if you gonna go down so many generations.
    I agree with you wclawerence I rather to use the mama too.

5. minifarmerct

minifarmerct Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    This has turned into a very interesting thread for me one of so little knowledge
    I too am planning on getting eggs from 2 sources and hopefully keep the best rooster from each to breed with the other
    group so as to do my best to mix genetics and see what happens.
    thanks for the info
    Don

6. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    mama ? papa ? eh ?
    Cock and hen.
    Just saying.[​IMG]

7. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:GOOD LUCK to you Haller !!!!!!!!!! I know you have been waiting so long!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:GOOD LUCK to you Haller !!!!!!!!!! I know you have been waiting so long!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

Thank you. Keeping my hands off of them until it's time to candle is very hard.

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If I had the Brabanters and wanted to increase the size and vitality of the breed I would use the following hens: Remember, keep your male line pure.

LaFleche hens
    Polish hens (if large)
    Minorca hens

10. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Saladin, I have been befriended by a lady here that raises games.
    She has 'hired' me to incubate eggs for her.
    I usually have plenty of room with my big incubator running.
    My interest has piqued about these beautiful birds, and if I may ask a few questions...
    There seems to be a billion color varieties of game, ie: Doc, Cuda, Agincourt.
    Are these color variations all named due to their developer (breeder) or are they all purbreeds in their own right for hundreds of years ?
    For example, you could get some (games) & develope a coloration that is before non-existing, and thus name it after yourself and it would go from there ?
    I could develope a new coloration of Plymouth Rock, a silver spangled for example, something that does not exist today, and call it my own name ?
    It that why there are so many variations of game fowl ?
    It is confusing to me that game wen sites have hundreds of color variations of the same bird, I guess [​IMG]
    Maybe you can enlighten us on how all these coloration varieties came to be ?
    Are they truly seperate breeds ?
    or just seperate colors of the same birds ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by