Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
I have seen similar references before in respect to coloration or form as being inherited more strongly from one parent or more. The 75% figure appears to symbolize more than half. Many of the color genes are coded for by the male chromosome (Z). If the allele is dominant and the male is homozygous, then all offspring of that male will exhibit that color trait even if heterozygous. A female carrying same allele will pass forward trait only to her male offspring since female offspring do not get her Z chromosome. In respect to form which may be influenced more by other chromosomes, some of the fathers influence may be turned off and not be expressed until grand children produced.

Quote:
HAHAHA, well, now you have soething for trivial pursuit
wink.png

That may not be practical in my case. There is limited genetic diversity in American Brabanters. Everyone I have talked to got their birds from Ideal. The longest ago was ten years. Her birds would be the most genetically different from Ideals birds because of genetic drift. If there is a problem with inbreeding, grading sounds like my best bet.

Quote:
I'd think it sounder to try this method with several purebred males, or several lines of purebred males, in keeping with the goal of increasing vigor and genetic diversity in your gene pool.

I think that is wise, to avoid alot of other possible problems as well, like physical anomolies.

I was talking about grading, but about trying to use several roosters or rooster lines to do it instead of all the same father-

PS. I just looked at the Dutch Brabanter club website via Google Translate and saw no mention of the breed becoming extinct or being "re-created". as Feathersite says. Does the info on Feathersite just apply to the Brabanter in America? And would an importation of hatching eggs be out of the question? Maybe a group of people could go in on it, and share in the progeny of any birds that hatch. I hear that total cost for importing hatching eggs from Europe runs to around $400 - $500 a shipment, which includes the veterinary exam costs for the flock of origin. Holland is still a permissable country for egg importation into the US... and provided the parent-flock health requirements are met, the eggs and hatched chicks do not need to go through any special quarantine. USDA hatching-egg guidelines are here...

Best - exop

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I might try to have a second rooster, but I haven't room for more than that, and any roosters I got would be related since they all ultimately came from Ideal. I can just imagine Mr H's reaction if I told him I needed to spend $500 to import eggs. He'd call for the guys with the strait jackets.

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png

Well... maybe you could find 7 other people to go in with you? $50 - $60 doesn't seem like quite as crazy a financial step. Some people spend more on a new TV!
wink.png

There's our solution... we need to get Paris Hilton interested in heritage poultry.

Best - exop

Quote:
smile.png

Well... maybe you could find 7 other people to go in with you? $50 - $60 doesn't seem like quite as crazy a financial step. Some people spend more on a new TV!
wink.png

There's our solution... we need to get Paris Hilton interested in heritage poultry.

Best - exop

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom