Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Bantam Shamo sounds like an oxymoron.

shamos.JPG

shamobaby2.JPG

shamobaby.JPG

My breeder pair and the first couple chicks we hatched from them...why an oxymoron? The cock weighs 3lbs, and the hen 2.25lbs....

Great topic!
I'm in the deep south where it gets really hot in the summer, but has some freezing or below freezing winter days. It was up to 90 yesterday and it's only April! Imagine August! Right now I have a mixed-breed flock of free ranging chickens. I have been reading/researching different breeds. I can't make up my mind as to which would be the best to get. I really want to work on keeping a rare/endangered breed.
What would you suggest?
I would like to have birds that...
1. Would do well in my area.
2. Lays large or jumbo eggs
3. Goes broody
4. Is able to forage well
5. Friendly and quiet

Breeds I am thinking about are Delewares, Faverolles, Langshan, and Javas.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Quote:
Delawares: created in 1940; maybe rare but Old they ain't
The other 3 would be ok. Don't expect jumbo eggs from most Java strains.

Actually, based on what you wrote you might consider one of the Medit. Breeds ( minus the broody).

I'm sure that many of you are planning or rather hoping to go to the Crossroads Show at the end of October 2011. I know that I am. With this great show in mind I've been hatching a multitude of chicks: EXTREME CULLING DEMANDS LARGE HATCHES. There is no way around that. Regardless of your breeding system, you must hatch great numbers of chicks to be able to practise demanding culling.

On my way to the Crossroads Show I now have over 400 chicks out and I'm still hatching. Who all is going to the Crossroads Show? How many chicks have you hatched? What breeds do you hope to take?

Quote:
Already have my reservation. We'll be at the Sheraton - they have the show price for all three days. Apparently the others were only giving the special rate for Friday and Saturday. I'll definitely be taking my bantam Faverolles, possibly my JG girls, and maybe a cochin or two. Of course, now that I've said that, they'll have a blow out sometime in September. Still waiting on two breeders lists for birds this spring that might be possible to show as young birds.

If anyone is going to this show from the PNW I would love to meet up with someone and see if they could get some good photos of the Dominiques at that show, and maybe even pick up some eggs for me if I contact breeders ahead of time? I'm in Central Oregon. I don't think my body can handle the drive (I was in a car accident last summer and am still on the mend) and I don't want to try to get eggs through airports.

Quote:
What about Dominiques? Best foraging birds I've ever seen, and reliable layers,although they are dual-purpose.

x2! The eggs may not be exactly large or jumbo, but they are a decent size, rare in that they are hard to find a good strain (that's not from a hatchery), they're excellent foragers, my Dom hens are the quietest breed in my coop, and they are relatively friendly, without a lot of handling or socialization. The also handle extreme temperatures very well.

Back
Top Bottom