Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
What about Dominiques? Best foraging birds I've ever seen, and reliable layers,although they are dual-purpose.

x2! The eggs may not be exactly large or jumbo, but they are a decent size, rare in that they are hard to find a good strain (that's not from a hatchery), they're excellent foragers, my Dom hens are the quietest breed in my coop, and they are relatively friendly, without a lot of handling or socialization. The also handle extreme temperatures very well.

True - they were very un-ruffled by anything. Had one hen that we took to a couple of chicken talks because she was so tame. Her sister was the opposite, though - just wanted to be left alone, so we did. They were both six when they passed. Mine weren't terrible quiet, though - they were always making worried noises, like the sky was falling. Still, I'd get them again. But make sure you find a breeder - don't go hatchery.

i would go with the delawares. good meat, big, brown eggs and foragers. they also are rare and need breeders. we had dominiques for years and while very hardy and good layers, not great for meat. also never had a nice dominique rooster. all of them were mean.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely in love with my three barred hollands! I bought them from Ideal poultry and the next chicks that I get will definitely have more.

890aa9e6.jpg

13a62229.jpg

Picture571.jpg

Picture572.jpg

Picture558.jpg

Eatin'Dirt :

So you should trust "some chicken breeder" instead.....??? There is NO breeders here in southern NV

There are some in No Nev. I don't know what they have at this moment, but they raise some heritage birds. They are also selling some very nice Silkies in colors. PM me if you want contact info.

Walt​

Eatin'Dirt :

So you should trust "some chicken breeder" instead.....??? There is NO breeders here in southern NV

You should trust a reputable breeder.
wink.png
Plenty of folks out there just breeding their hatchery bought birds.

As for NV, pretty sure there are plenty. You just gotta research. Look through Breeders Clubs' directories, ask around your state thread on this forum, etc.​

pride&joy :

Quote:
Hey Saladin magnificent looking fowl what would you say he weighs now and what will he cock out at? He does indeed look very stout.

Now he is around 4 1/2 - 5 lbs. Should cock out close to 7 lbs by the time he is 2 years old. Thanks for the comments.​

Back
Top Bottom