Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Hey Saladin magnificent looking fowl what would you say he weighs now and what will he cock out at? He does indeed look very stout.

Now he is around 4 1/2 - 5 lbs. Should cock out close to 7 lbs by the time he is 2 years old. Thanks for the comments.

Ok Saladin, here are some of my Pakistanis, two cocks about a year old and a five month old stag from the second cock. I would appreciate any scrutiny from those more learned than I on the fowl?

44626_dsc04997.jpg
g]

44626_dsc05013.jpg
]

44626_dsc05007.jpg
g]

Last edited:
Quote:
x2! The eggs may not be exactly large or jumbo, but they are a decent size, rare in that they are hard to find a good strain (that's not from a hatchery), they're excellent foragers, my Dom hens are the quietest breed in my coop, and they are relatively friendly, without a lot of handling or socialization. The also handle extreme temperatures very well.

True - they were very un-ruffled by anything. Had one hen that we took to a couple of chicken talks because she was so tame. Her sister was the opposite, though - just wanted to be left alone, so we did. They were both six when they passed. Mine weren't terrible quiet, though - they were always making worried noises, like the sky was falling. Still, I'd get them again. But make sure you find a breeder - don't go hatchery.

I agree, our birds have been sweethearts. We've only had one or two hens that were worry warts and skittish, they've been culled.

They do have little alarm sounds rather often if there's something to be alarmed about. I've built our latest run with plywood up 2' (could go 3') and a solid covered roof so the birds aren't seeing the various wild birds, rabbits, etc. It has made our birds in that pen even quieter than they were before, and they seem less stressed. We will be building all our runs this way from now on.

This run idea started because the run is 6ft high and we use 4ft field fencing for our tractors, so it was nice to have the 2ft plywood bottom. Then we realized how much it would help with the sand being blowed in the birds eyes. Then we realized it would help with the snow drifting into the runs in the winter. Then we realized it would stop the roos from fighting between the wire when there's a group out free ranging. Then we realized it stops the birds from worrying so much about the wild animals!
big_smile.png

A cock will still be able to see above the 2', so we'll be doing them at 3' I think, especially for the Orps. It's just the right size for the Doms they have to lift their head up a couple of inches, so most of the time I think they keep their head down and are happy being ignorant
big_smile.png
They'll peek up and check every few minutes! lol...

Quote:
True - they were very un-ruffled by anything. Had one hen that we took to a couple of chicken talks because she was so tame. Her sister was the opposite, though - just wanted to be left alone, so we did. They were both six when they passed. Mine weren't terrible quiet, though - they were always making worried noises, like the sky was falling. Still, I'd get them again. But make sure you find a breeder - don't go hatchery.

I agree, our birds have been sweethearts. We've only had one or two hens that were worry warts and skittish, they've been culled.

They do have little alarm sounds rather often if there's something to be alarmed about. I've built our latest run with plywood up 2' (could go 3') and a solid covered roof so the birds aren't seeing the various wild birds, rabbits, etc. It has made our birds in that pen even quieter than they were before, and they seem less stressed. We will be building all our runs this way from now on.

This run idea started because the run is 6ft high and we use 4ft field fencing for our tractors, so it was nice to have the 2ft plywood bottom. Then we realized how much it would help with the sand being blowed in the birds eyes. Then we realized it would help with the snow drifting into the runs in the winter. Then we realized it would stop the roos from fighting between the wire when there's a group out free ranging. Then we realized it stops the birds from worrying so much about the wild animals!
big_smile.png

A cock will still be able to see above the 2', so we'll be doing them at 3' I think, especially for the Orps. It's just the right size for the Doms they have to lift their head up a couple of inches, so most of the time I think they keep their head down and are happy being ignorant
big_smile.png
They'll peek up and check every few minutes! lol...

Do you have pics of that coop?

pride&joy :

Quote:
Now he is around 4 1/2 - 5 lbs. Should cock out close to 7 lbs by the time he is 2 years old. Thanks for the comments.

Ok Saladin, here are some of my Pakistanis, two cocks about a year old and a five month old stag from the second cock. I would appreciate any scrutiny from those more learned than I on the fowl?

[/im[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc04997.jpgg]

[/img[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc05013.jpg]

[/im[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc05007.jpgg]​

I've not seen white Pakis before. Most folks who have Pakis rec'd them from C. H. because Pakistanis is what Manuel Reynolds called his fowl. Those birds were all Black Red with Wheaten females.

These look like nice birds. The only whites I've known about were those that came from Lenny Wahl. That is where my white line came from. They all have a particular look. These birds are definately not from Wahl birds.

I'm really curious about your source. These birds appear to have more leg than many Asil (of course that can be the camera and angle of the picture too); that top bird has a great head.

Quote:

[/im[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc04997.jpgg]

[/img[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc05013.jpg]

[/im[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc05007.jpgg]

I've not seen white Pakis before. Most folks who have Pakis rec'd them from C. H. because Pakistanis is what Manuel Reynolds called his fowl. Those birds were all Black Red with Wheaten females.

These look like nice birds. The only whites I've known about were those that came from Lenny Wahl. That is where my white line came from. They all have a particular look. These birds are definately not from Wahl birds.

I'm really curious about your source. These birds appear to have more leg than many Asil (of course that can be the camera and angle of the picture too); that top bird has a great head.

Hello Saladin, I am always careful to classify fowl as being from a certain breeder or line as I am of the opinion that even if using strictly that stock once some else starts making the breeding and culling decisions they are not the same line. Having said that I got these fowl as eggs from someone here in Fl who supposedly got the parent fowl from Ralph Holt in Dayton OH? I have never spoken with him but have heard good things about him from folks? I was just talking to an old family friend who keeps Assils in Puerto Rico and salivating over getting some fowl from him.

Hey just saw this topic

i have Hungarian yellow's and well be starting a few breeding projects with them soon (Hungarian White, Hungarian Speckled, Hungarian Partridge) in the next few years.

24247_100_1462.jpg

24247_100_1464.jpg

24247_hy-rir-4.jpg

24247_hy.jpg

24247_hungrain-yellow-cock_1.jpg

Hi all, I am trying to get a start of asils going, Have found some nice stags, but having a little trouble finding hens. According to "The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy" Standard size Modern Games are on the critical list of fowl no longer being raised. I have one quad of red pyle moderns and am trying to find some in a differant color.

old*cowboy :

Hi all, I am trying to get a start of asils going, Have found some nice stags, but having a little trouble finding hens. According to "The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy" Standard size Modern Games are on the critical list of fowl no longer being raised. I have one quad of red pyle moderns and am trying to find some in a differant color.

I typically sell pullets with stags.​

pride&joy :

Quote:

Hello Saladin, I am always careful to classify fowl as being from a certain breeder or line as I am of the opinion that even if using strictly that stock once some else starts making the breeding and culling decisions they are not the same line. Having said that I got these fowl as eggs from someone here in Fl who supposedly got the parent fowl from Ralph Holt in Dayton OH? I have never spoken with him but have heard good things about him from folks? I was just talking to an old family friend who keeps Assils in Puerto Rico and salivating over getting some fowl from him.​

I usually talk with Ralph every month or so.... right now I'm the one that owes him the call. He does raise Pakistanis; I just never figured they were white, but then again, I never asked him either. lol. Just always figured they were Black Reds or Brown Reds.

I am starting out with Appenzeller Spitzhaubens and Cream Brabanters. Both breeds have similar combs, body types, nostrils, and crests. Both breeds have small gene pools in this country. What do you think of out crossing between the two to decrease the in breeding? Now, don't everyone jump on me at once.

Back
Top Bottom