Old and Rare Breeds

I think Iva and Geo. both have some really sound ideas. This is sort of like what I've been saying for a long time.

I wish folks along with their favorite old breed would also keep one of the foundational breeds: those I refer to as Ancient (pre 1600) and Modern (1600-1845). These are the breeds which cannot be replaced whereas all composite breeds theoretically can be. Unfortunately, most folks it seems think more of their Rocks and Reds than they do the breeds that made them. I have nothing against these Industrial breeds and think they should be preserved. I only wish they'd think through the whole preservation idea a bit more deeply.
Well saladin I have been kickin' around the idea of another breed and I think I have it narrowed down to 3 breeds Javas, Dorkings and Asil.
I will have do some research (homework) on these 3 breeds to narrow it down to one new breed but I have some time on my hands so that's not a problem.

What are your thoughts and do you know of any good starting points for these breeds? (posts, articles, papers)

Chris

Look at the old SPPA articles on the three over at feathersite. Then take a look at the Asil information on UFF. Give Monte a call and talk Java; then call Craig and talk Dorkings.

The way I see it, Yellow House Farm has a good idea, but I see it from a slightly different angle. Maybe instead of looking at it from the point of what breeds own the variety, we should look at as what variety made the breed. In this context, any breed that has only one variety isn't really under consideration here. RIR, New Hampshire, and Buckeyes only come one color, save the breed and that variety is saved. ( My favorites seem to be the single variety breeds, I have buckeyes, dominiques, and nankins.) The breeds that have many varieties are a different matter. Which one(s) to save? From a breed preservation standpoint, perhaps the most effort would best be spent on the varieties that made the breed: buff orpinton, barred rock, silver and gold laced wyandotte, mottled java, silver and gold pencilled hamburg, etc. If these are preserved, then the breed is safe and any of the subsequent varieties could be re-created from the "foundation variety", as they were the first time. I would be inclined to not be too concerned about the white birds, because they tend to be the showbirds, and have that whole arm of the fancy working on them. Just a thought.
I am glad you are posting as you always have the most intelligent things to say in the fewest words. You also always make me think -- we can use your posts on here.

Quote: Very, very true. IMHO, this is the trend for many breeds. Breeders who show concentrate too heavily on feathers. Showing seems to be more about feather quality on the given day (not that a very good type bird is not chosen but more about feather quality that day).

Quote:
I decided on Buckeyes originally because they were an American breed that is basically ONLY found in the U.S. & Canada. I know I saw some pics of Buckeyes from the U.K. but they looked pretty bad (someone got some eggs over there I guess but they would be rare & likely won't make it as a breed there). Also, I liked the meat (I had tried at a breed tasting.)

I take what you say at heart and you have made me really think about these things. At most, I could only do about 3 breeds justice. Any more and I would collapse from utter exhaustion as I tend to be a perfectionist. The other breed I was considering was Nankins.

Dr., Do you consider La Fleche, though a composite breed, ancient? It would be pretty impossible to recreate them and they have been around at least since the mid 1500s (and references to them even further back).

You want to see some interest stirred up in the Dorking? Import some good ones. There are still some good looking Dorkings in England.
Import some new blood, and some of those with Dorkings that want to improve theirs will, and you will find that others will take interest in them to. This could make a positive impact. I am convinced of it. We might not be able to import any after the next bird flue scare etc.

They have a lot going for them already, and have a small dedicated following. They come in attractive colors, etc. etc. I would like to see the Dorkings we have improved. Percieved quality does make a difference in their popularity.

I will give an example. I couldn't find good examples of good New Hampshires for anything. Then these Germans, were imported. Now everyone and their brother has them. It makes a difference.

It is difficult to import for an individual, and expensive. It would not be difficult for an organization though. I would put my money where my mouth is. I would donate $200.00 to it now. I would like to see an importation with a few breeds. Personally, from an organizational point of view, I think this period of new interest should be taken advantage of. If a rare breed does not advance now in this point of history, then it is history. You want it to make progress during this time, to help buffer it, when interest subsides.

Saladin, your point with the Sumatras brings up a sore spot of mine. I like and want to see well bred birds, but if they don't do what they are supposed to, then that is not what they are. Period. I am no fan of look alikes. Especially in performance breeds, whether it be games or dual pupouse fowl.

I do not have anything against good exhibition strains. In those strains are traits that can improve another. For me though, I want my birds to perform in a manner consistant with their history. However vague that might be.

I decided on Buckeyes originally because they were an American breed that is basically ONLY found in the U.S. & Canada. I know I saw some pics of Buckeyes from the U.K. but they looked pretty bad (someone got some eggs over there I guess but they would be rare & likely won't make it as a breed there). Also, I liked the meat (I had tried at a breed tasting.)

I take what you say at heart and you have made me really think about these things. At most, I could only do about 3 breeds justice. Any more and I would collapse from utter exhaustion as I tend to be a perfectionist. The other breed I was considering was Nankins.

Dr., Do you consider La Fleche, though a composite breed, ancient? It would be pretty impossible to recreate them and they have been around at least since the mid 1500s (and references to them even further back).

I know someone that is going to be getting rid of their La Fleche.

Quote:
Do you know or could you find out the source/ origin of their birds, please?

Right now, I have a trio I got from Duane Urch and two pair I acquired from a breeder in Iowa (which had originated with Urch in the not too distant past). I am hatching from these groups now (eggs set to hatch New Year's Day and another batch I just set. I have also ordered some La Fleche chicks from Sandhill. Does anyone know the source of the Sandhill La Fleche? And how long ago?

Do you know or could you find out the source/ origin of their birds, please?

Right now, I have a trio I got from Duane Urch and two pair I acquired from a breeder in Iowa (which had originated with Urch in the not too distant past). I am hatching from these groups now (eggs set to hatch New Year's Day and another batch I just set. I have also ordered some La Fleche chicks from Sandhill. Does anyone know the source of the Sandhill La Fleche? And how long ago?

Terry Britt had some awesome LeFletche's a few years ago. Don't know if he still has them, but they were very good.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom