Old and Rare Breeds

I think Iva and Geo. both have some really sound ideas. This is sort of like what I've been saying for a long time.

I wish folks along with their favorite old breed would also keep one of the foundational breeds: those I refer to as Ancient (pre 1600) and Modern (1600-1845). These are the breeds which cannot be replaced whereas all composite breeds theoretically can be. Unfortunately, most folks it seems think more of their Rocks and Reds than they do the breeds that made them. I have nothing against these Industrial breeds and think they should be preserved. I only wish they'd think through the whole preservation idea a bit more deeply.
In that case, I would want to keep the Russian Pavlovski or Pavlovskaya (depending on whether you want to use a masculaine or feminine form of the word. I've seen both). It is thought to be the ancestor of the European crested breeds like la Fleche, Spitzhaubens, Brabanters, Polands, Sulltans, Crevecours, etc., many of which date to before 1600. The Pavlovskaya looks like a gold Brabanter with feathered legs. Greenfire Farm has brought some to the USA, but it will be a while before I can afford any.

I will ask about the La Fleche. I do not know anything about them. It caught my attention when they were mentioned. I expect to speak with him next week.

Concerning the flighteness and bird's behavior, I was suprised by the behavior of my Catalanas. They are certainly sharp and snappy, bright eyed and active. They aren't particularly hand shy though. One male, is a bit more nervous than the other. The other will take feed from my hand. What I am saying is, that their behavior was a pleasant suprise. They are not hard to handle. I think that I am going to like these a lot. I like some personality.
That is one + going for them George, an exceptional one in my book being you and these guys are strangers this beings you did not get to imprint them from day one of their lives. Even some hand raised (large fowl) can be somewhat disturbed by a stranger in the henhouse (just come around when I forget to wear my hat/cap or accidently show up suddenly or unannounced in cammoed-out fatigues) LOL

Jeff

I agree Jeff. I am getting ready to move them to a more open pen, so I will see how they act when I am actually standing over them. I do not think they will be like all of the horror stories that I hear about the mediteraneans. I love how sharp they are, but still handleable. They don't freak out in your hands. They let you do what you have to do. In my hands, I would say they are as calm as the New Hampshires. I am not saying that they are that calm on the ground.

I dont know. They are new to me. I am just excited about them. I like these birds.

You want to see some interest stirred up in the Dorking? Import some good ones. There are still some good looking Dorkings in England.

I seriously looked into doing this, a couple years ago. Not only was it too expensive, the UK Club had no interest in cooperating with such an effort. I could not find a breeder there, who had good Dorkings, who were willing to even talk about such a venture. Actually, I didn't see any photos of Dorkings that were any better than what we have here, now.

Importing to Canada and then to the US is the easier way to go about it. There is a lady in Canada who went to the trouble of importing Dorkings from Holland. After all her work, the imports have good basic type, but still have defects & dq's. IMO, the Dorkings that she has been working on all along are nice examples of the breed. Her biggest issue with her own strain is white ear lobes.

I probably wanted to import Dorkings more than anyone, at one point. Now, I think it's not worth the expense & trouble. I also searched all over the US and contacted every breeder that I could find (not just through BYC). Now, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have patience and keep trying to improve upon my own line.

Ok, I guess I'm either dense or blind or both but I can't find it.  I see no Asil "heading" on the home page.  I tried looking through the different breed category pages and I even went to Tulip Grove Gamefowl website.  I could not find a blue asil. 

UFF> Oriental Gamefowl> Asil

This talk of LaFleche is good, we certainly need more good breeders of this breed.

Haha, reminded me of a strange bird i hatched out a while back. One of the breeds I raise is bantam Buttercups and during culling from my last hatch I got this bird.

Now I am not going to try and make buttercup colored bantam LaFleche because we need to make sure the recognized varieties if all breeds are preserved before we make new ones, but believe me, I tossed the idea around in my head for a while.

Just thought I would share this

I seriously looked into doing this, a couple years ago. Not only was it too expensive, the UK Club had no interest in cooperating with such an effort. I could not find a breeder there, who had good Dorkings, who were willing to even talk about such a venture. Actually, I didn't see any photos of Dorkings that were any better than what we have here, now.

Importing to Canada and then to the US is the easier way to go about it. There is a lady in Canada who went to the trouble of importing Dorkings from Holland. After all her work, the imports have good basic type, but still have defects & dq's. IMO, the Dorkings that she has been working on all along are nice examples of the breed. Her biggest issue with her own strain is white ear lobes.

I probably wanted to import Dorkings more than anyone, at one point. Now, I think it's not worth the expense & trouble. I also searched all over the US and contacted every breeder that I could find (not just through BYC). Now, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have patience and keep trying to improve upon my own line.

I hear you Kim! I can't find colored Dorkings anywhere other than the hatchery and I know there has to be some out there somewhere!
he.gif

This talk of LaFleche is good, we certainly need more good breeders of this breed.
Haha, reminded me of a strange bird i hatched out a while back. One of the breeds I raise is bantam Buttercups and during culling from my last hatch I got this bird.

Now I am not going to try and make buttercup colored bantam LaFleche because we need to make sure the recognized varieties if all breeds are preserved before we make new ones, but believe me, I tossed the idea around in my head for a while.
Just thought I would share this

You showed yours now I'll show mine here's a boy that mysteriously popped up out or a combo of a little red/black tailed bantam male almost a Nankin copy and a Black rosecombed bantam hen someone gave me to heal up once(forgot her ailment broken leg or wing) anyway here's Wailin' (pronounced Waylon) but he sounds to try the arouse the dead with his shrilly type crow LOL

Got Redcaps? I do, now LOL(not for breeding purposes only)LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
Haha, gotta love some of the crosses. One of the fun things I do when I am judging small shows is try to figure out what breeds made the 'mix breed chicken' that occasionally gets entered or maybe even what it can be used to make.

Interesting thing about mine was that I hatched it with about a hundred or so other buttercup eggs and his has the same type, size and coloring of all the others so I doubt it's a mix......mixed up but nit a mix breed. Ahhh, genetics, throws us a fun curve sometimes

I hear you Kim! I can't find colored Dorkings anywhere other than the hatchery and I know there has to be some out there somewhere!
he.gif
SPPA has several Dorking breeders; Craig Russell has at least 15 or 20 varieties last I check; or some such huge number. The new Breeders Directory is just out. Now is the time to join if you are truly serious about raising Dorkings.

Back
Top Bottom