Old and Rare Breeds

For small combs and a decent body size you want:

Ameraucanas, or any of that group, collancas, quecha or whatever they are called, but there are several of that South American group. All very calm roosters, though not all breeds are super people friendly.

Dominique, very historical American breed with a rose comb.

Want something historical and European, you have the Crevecour, or a rose combed Dorking.

Lots of choices.

I just looked over on rarebreedauctions.com and my goodness those chickens are EXPENSIVE most are from Greenfire Farms. There sure are some good looking birds over there though. Jubilee and Mottled orpingtons, blue and partridge brahmas. Now those are some beautiful birds but I bet it is near impossible finding those kinds of birds close to me.

Waltz's Ark is in CO. When I went to it though it wasn't the site that I remembered reading and it didn't mention the buying of all of the Greenfire imports. So I am not 100% that this is the guy with the original stock.

If you are getting Mottled birds, it is being reported by several breeders of Breda. It must have been lurking under the black as a recessive.

OMG this is the most hysterical post I have read in MONTHS!!! Thank you so much!!!! I had to catch my breath and make my way to the ladies' room before I had a serious accident - common in us old ladies!!! :) :) :)

Did you not see the signature block on my post??????

I AM WALTZ'S ARK RANCH!!!!

The sole owner/operator of the entire ranch. AND I AM A FEMALE. HAVE BEEN SINCE BIRTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've given birth twice, can PROVE it, and have EIGHT grandchildren!!!!

Yes, really, WOMEN can be ministers, doctors, livestock breeders, and actually own land in this country!!!!! :) :) :)

And I am married to a MAN!!!! Specifically, a wonderful, loving DAV (Disabled American Veteran) who was born in Germany to a Native American father who was serving in the military when seized as a spy and tossed into Auschwitz (he is seen in the footage of the first people walking out of that hell hole) who married a German spy - yup, there were lady spies in the 1940's in Europe!!! He spent his first 10 years of life in Europe, came to the US, served 20+ years in the US Army as SF based in Europe. We are NOT A GAY COUPLE. I am real tired of constantly being referred to on forums all over the Internet as a man, with the side note that I am a gay man married to a gay man. I have been denigrated repeatedly by members of BYC via private emails nearly every time I post somewhere with "good Christians" (Excuse me, I am an Ordained Minister!!!!) informing me what an abomination to the world I am flaunting my gay status in front of the world.

It gets tiring.

Now, back to BIRDS.

Yes, there is mottling in some of the birds in the Breda that came into the US. Nobody does a moment of research any more!!! I know EXACTLY where mottling comes from, I know what was imported and who the in Europe the birds came from and if anyone would bother to read the information in the various European breed clubs and actual written/published articles about the Breda, they would understand that not only mottling but some other exciting solid colors were in those imported lines - because that is what is in the birds when old folks in ill health spread their birds around their European bird clubs for further work.

I do indeed own the largest flock of breeding Bredas in the US. I take what I do with every breed very seriously, and I am working with many birds to bring out what is there already in each and every bird. I have white, I have mottled blues and mottled blacks and even some other interesting colors/patterns emerging...........all I had to do was ask some questions of the original European breeders to get all the tips I needed to start bringing it all back out. It takes work, something most American chicken owners are unwilling to do. Because of course it is far easier to point fingers and make fun of people never met, making assumptions about who they are and what they do and what their lives are all about.

I do thank you for the great laugh, after this miserable winter anything that makes me laugh that hard for that long is very welcome!!!

Everybody stay warm and dry, spring will arrive!!! Now, whether or not it will stay around for long is the question................ :)

Doc

I need chickens that will stand still like that for chicken pictures!

So you live in the frigid north? There's always rose combed minorcas.

Search Results

No I live in east TN I was talking about the SC ones. I want something that as more than one color.

@warbirds

I loved your website, you have some great looking birds.

I am thinking that people keep thinking you must be a guy because "warbirds" sounds a bit masculine, and that paired with "Waltz's Ranch" and Waltz just is too close to Walt....that is actually what I read the first few times I saw the word.

But maybe because I have several people named Walter in my family. And, all of them are male.
big_smile.png

By the way, I have always been very interested in the Buttercup, mostly because I just adore their colors. I refuse to let myself get them though, since those points would all freeze off. I might not get too cold, but my humidity levels are so high that little comb points all freeze off.

I am going to try to start being a proper breeder this year.

I am starting with three breeds, going to see what I like and hopefully weed down to one or two.

I am a little worried since the only quality breeder of golden laced hamburgs who has responded to me, has gone over how aggressive his fowl are.

I suppose I can split up pens etc. But I very much hope that if I hatch a giant amount of them, that I will be able to get proper SOP birds that are a bit more mellow.

We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom