Old and Rare Breeds

My Campines lay lovely white eggs, but are rarely broody. In five years, I have owned two hens that sat - once together - and one sat twice and is broody now. She is a cull, but I keep her because she goes broody. Both were only 3/4 Campine.

I am so thrilled. I got my first rare birds this week, a trio of Bantam Silver Penciled Wyandottes! They are just some of the sweetest birds. They are in quarantine for now while I try to figure out what to name them.

Rare breeds deserve rare names ... Here is an Idea. Lets say the breed is originally from lets say 17th century France. Find names common to girls for hens and boys for roosters from that time era. With the Internet and Google or other search engines, it is made easier.
caf.gif

Try Dorkings - lay white eggs, around in Roman times - that makes it ancient!
Those are in Saladins initial list.

Rare breeds deserve rare names ... Here is an Idea. Lets say the breed is originally from lets say 17th century France. Find names common to girls for hens and boys for roosters from that time era. With the Internet and Google or other search engines, it is made easier.
caf.gif
Jean-Pierre, Paul-Henri, Pascal, Maximilien, Baptiste, Vinchant
Anne-Laure, Marie-Elise, Jehenne, Marguerite, Perrette, Françoise, Guillemette, Gilberte, Chrétienne, Ysabeau
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrench.html
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/names.html

With my naming technique mine would have to be: un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf, dix, onze, douze, etc..

@ChickenCanoe
I had to rename one of my chickens. A Japanese bantam. Originally named her a term used to describe a Japanese hostess trained to entertain men with conversation, dance, and song. Too many thought it meant something different and bad. I checked the dictionary and it does not. So I renamed her Effiteris. I probably do not have the spelling correct, since it does not show up in any Google searches. She was the maiden that wanted to marry Moses. Moses refused her so she married the Pharaoh.
Here she is..... A BEAUTY... JMO.

All my pets have names and I never use a name twice. Its like the sport jersey numbers. once it is retired no one uses that one again. ( in that club anyways)

Back
Top Bottom