Old and Rare Breeds

I dont see what there is to discuss in the role of the Brown Leghorn. All 4 generations needed in the creation of the Gold Legbar require a pure Brown Leghorn while only the first generation requires a pure Barred rock. Thats why all legbars look more like Leghorns than Barred rocks (not only in color and shape, but personality as well). By the way they call this breed LEG BAR because LEGhorns and BARred rocks were used. Secondly myself and a few Britons think that the Cream Legbar was created from the Gold Legbar breed and the americauna (we can argue that it was a combination of leghorn, barred rock and americauna used in creating the Cream but The gold Legbar is a "breed" as it breeds true).

Please note that I keep on saying americauna. On the first link that Mr Greenfire provided it says araucana but if you click on the blue araucana it pulls up a page that further says tailed birds were used. In the U.K. their Araucana society accepts both the tailed bearded type, and the rumpless tufted as "araucana" but has them in to categories. Here in America we call the rumpless tufted variety the "true" araucana, and we call the tailed bearded variety americauna. As i am finding out with my onw stock of rumpless tufted araucana birds dont breed true to color so I would see this as a major setback in creating the Cream Legbar.

As you all have seen I have done more research on the creating of both breeds, than on the history. I am not interested in the who, why, and when but in the simple how.

As to pictures I am unfortunate in the fact that I am at stage 2. I started in '10 and since i could not find started birds i had to get chicks. I suppose I could cheat and just import but I like a challenge.

Last edited:
Quote:
Good luck with your project. Some prefer a challenge, and others are able to import. Nothin' at all wrong with that. Many are happy to hear of the imports.

By the way, there is no i in Ameraucana. Thought you may like to know that.

Yes you are right. there is no spell check for ameraucana!
big_smile.png

I did not meen that Mr. Greenfire was a cheater but only that i have set out on my breeding quest and wont "cheat" by importing.

To be honest i have no interest in Creams but Only in the Gold. I see a great market for golds as they produce as well as regular leghorns but are 100% sexable not only in the first generation like sex linked birds, but retain the ability indefinitely.

Last edited:
This raises an interesting question: Is it really possible to re-create a breed? There is more to a breed than its superficial appearance. There are elements of behavior, productivity, and metabolic efficiency that are also genetically based. For example, if someone were to attempt to re-create a leghorn and the re-created bird looks like a leghorn but lays only half as many eggs as an authentic leghorn, have you really re-created the leghorn breed? I think it would be particularly challenging if you had never seen an authentic leghorn.

What about Sumatras? (Sorry if this question was already asked; I didn't read through the whole thread.)
They're listed as Critical by the ALBC and are an ancient breed.

This thread has been cleaned up of rudeness.

If we get more reports about this thread and they are substantiated, those violating BYC rules of flaming will be asked not to participate in this discussion.

Quote:
Please folks, be nice. We who are mostly lurking are enjoying this thread. Would be a shame to see it locked.

thumbsup.gif
I love lurking on this thread !

Back
Top Bottom