Old and Rare Breeds

exop and Dave,

Thanks for the additional comments. You both really added some great knowledge to my simple post. I appreciate that and I'm guessing others do as well.

I really felt it important to get out the information concerning the 'one cock phenomena.' So many that want to start breeding birds get started the wrong way and then give up out of frustration. I think we lose some potentially great breeders by not giving people the needed information to succeed.

Dave, I remember you telling me about John Castagnetti's breeding pens; Craig Russell had mentioned the same thing. It is perhaps the easiest breeding technique of all, but it can work extremely well; especially if your not concerned with knowing the exact pedigree of a bird. Heck, most don't remember from one year to the next anyway!

I have never been able to find Jim Zook's website. Does anyone have a link?

I have a few Shamos descended from his line. Here are a few pics of these backyard velociraptors:

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

Wow....after you mentioned velociraptor and I saw your pictures, I thought to myelf that they do look like a feathered version for those raptors in Jurassic Park.
pop.gif
hide.gif

Still working on the historical categories:

Ancient
Modern
Industrial

Based on suggestions:

Ancient (before 1600)
Traditional (1600-1845)
? (1845-1939)

traditional - handed down from generation to generation (Amer. College Dictionary) [that is a fitting description]

Words I'm trying to avoid: heirloom, heritage, old, etc.

What about

Ancient (before 1600)
Traditional (1600-1845)*
Victorian (1845-1939)**
Post-Modern (1940-present)

*Remember 1845 is the date of the first poultry show.
** The Victorian Era official stopped with the death of the Queen in 1901, but the influence of the era reached beyond her death. This is also the time of the formation of Poultry Show and most of our composite breeds.

I could substitue the word Modern for Victorian.

I appreciate all your help. My article needs to be in within the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

Your suggestion of ancient, modern, and industrial categories makes a lot of sense as does using 1845 and 1940 as the respective cut-off dates.

Last edited:
That's nice to know now....I have a "Traditional" breed (Pyncheons).....works for me......
big_smile.png
. Tons of great info being passed amongst one another.....I really appreciate it and I know many others do as well. I am in awe with all of the Beautiful Shamos.....I knew very little about them before.....truely amazing birds. So many wonderful breeds have been presented here and I for one.....respect the breeds and breeders who have dedicated themselves to these great projects.

Back
Top Bottom