Old and Rare Breeds

Murray McMurray does indeed have the oldest stock among hatcheries, but hatcheries breed solely for production, so much of the Redcap's original purposes are now gone. You're likely to get underweight birds with bodies far from the standard, combs not matching the breed's unique comb trait, and I'm sure they won't last as long as a more traditional heritage type bird, either. Course, there will indeed be plenty people who say this is all just opinion, hatchery birds are perfectly fine or better than the latter, but really - If you want to preserve a breed, then do so, not a refined, commercialized chicken with the breed name label slapped on it.
wink.png

Still though, getting from a hatchery does help, as I'm sure the genes for otherwise are pretty slim out there, so it helps to diversify the pool, but strictly hatchery birds gets you nowhere.

I will, and I have for a short time seriously considered breeding redcaps myself, but, I have too many breeds at the moment, and I am dedicated to each breed being SOP..so I have to stop!!
:lol
But, should I see , I will tell you, but in the mean time, do watch out for hatchery birds, they may not be at all what you think they are, just as Illia has stated.

Quote:
Well I have 25 comming and I am hoping for the best. I will be able to tell very early if they show Redcap traits or if they show traits of some cross like a rose comb brown leghorn x Golden Spangled Hamburg just to get a Redcap look. The ones that don't show the Redcap traits will be culled and if all 25 dont show the traits I am looking for 25 will be culled.
big_smile.png
I have to say I have been very lucky with Ideal Poultry in that most every breed I have ordered from them may not be show winners but they have always show the traits of the breed I ordered. I also know that finding a Redcap breeder that has been breeding them for a few years will only get me to my goal that much sooner. So if I do find a breeder of the Redcaps I will be getting their stock also.

Redcap Farm

Quote:
Hi Illia
I am searching for a Redcap breeder but have had no luck in finding one. So just to get a start I placed a order for 25 chicks from Ideal Poultry. I may be wrong but I am beginning to think Ideal Poultry may gets their Redcap chicks from Murray McMurray Hacthery or got their start from them in the past. I would not be surprised if Sand Hill Preservation did not get their Redcap start from Murray McMurray also. Being that Murray McMurray has had the Redcaps for a very long time now most of the Redcaps here in the States may have come from them at some point and time. This is just my opinion and like I said I may be wrong. Please let me know what you think of this and please correct me on anything I am wrong on.

Redcap Farm

Call Ideal Poultry Farms and ask for Ross Windham. He can tell you where they got their start and how close to the SOP these are. I have had several wonderful conversations with Ross. Very helpful fellow.

Quote:
Since I am also interested, (
hide.gif
) I wonder, does anyone have the shower list from the ohio nationals? I am sure they must of had one with contact info for redcaps.
You HAVE to check out these redcaps : http://www.flickr.com/photos/46424074@N04/4263397130/in/photostream/
As
you can see I left me email on here page, and have tried mailing her, nothing yet. But i did notice one has a singe comb? Which really confuses me

Quote:
hide.gif
) I wonder, does anyone have the shower list from the ohio nationals? I am sure they must of had one with contact info for redcaps.
You HAVE to check out these redcaps : http://www.flickr.com/photos/46424074@N04/4263397130/in/photostream/
As
you can see I left me email on here page, and have tried mailing her, nothing yet. But i did notice one has a singe comb? Which really confuses me

Those Redcaps are bantams, but decent type and color. Single combs will pop out from time to time, but should be culled. If there are good bantams around it would seem like there should be some large fowl at least as good as the bantams in that picture. Thirty years ago there were some good ones around. I have no idea where they might be now though.

Walt

Quote:
hide.gif
As

Oh I LOVE the way you shamelessly threw yourself at their feet.
lau.gif

I too noticed the single comb, and maybe it just popped up and was not culled.
Beautiful birds though !

Back
Top Bottom