Old and Rare Breeds

For every time someone mentions they have Malgache, I'm that much more tempted to get some. . . . But I really have to get some experience with these Shamos first. . . Our climate is quite likely NOT Malgache friendly but I'm willing to put in some $$ for such amazing breed to have a little more warmth. (I'm thinking visqueen around the runs, heat lamps in the well insulated coop, etc)

Last edited:
There are people with Malgache in parts of PA much colder than where I live. I have great doubts those Malgache are being babied. I have also seen pics of other Malgache out foraging in below freezing temps with wind. They are tough birds, I don't think they need heat lamps.

Quote:
They are indeed a tough bird. The trouble I have is with the number of eggs each hen lays (around 20 in the spring) and keeping the chicks alive until maturity. The adult birds are tough but the chicks are just the opposite. If they get chilled at all then they are dead.

I've always hoped to end up with 40 or 50 birds, but it just doesn't happen. By the time I get the eggs hatched and birds grown I'm usually down to 10 or less. I guess if they were the only breed I focused on I could do better, but that is not the case.

A young Blue Red Asil stag (6 months).

asil1010-1.jpg

Quote:
I have bantam Malays. For Standard size Malays you need to contact Carl Brantley in Wilkesboro, NC. Last I heard, Carl was selling 1 dozen hatching eggs for $100.

Quote:
Nice! I like the blue red pattern.

Walt

Thanks Walt. By the way, if I want a new Standard can I just send in a check? If so, how much do I need to send?

Back
Top Bottom