Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Yes. I have two people looking for them, for me, at the show. I have to send money with the transporter, so he can pay for them. How much does a good SGD cost?

Kim

As to cost, I agree with mame1616. $20-$100 per bird. My guess would be somewhere around $30-50 for a SG Dorking that was a good representation of the breed.

Walt

Quote:
I have a friend here in MO that has been breeding chickens a long time and has virtually any color of LaFleche you can name.

Talk about a breed that's hard to find. I started breeding Black Penedesencas this spring. There's a lot to like about them.

Speaking of older breeders not being online. I wonder who is hiding all the LF Lamonas and who knows where they are.

I've long thought about getting Cubalayas.

Here's a list of breeds I'd like but don't know if any exist in the US.

Quetero
Quechua
Black Olmec
Ayam Cemani
Svart Höna

Really? Any color of La Fleche. Interesting!

Quote:
I have a question and am not sure where to ask it... I hope it's ok to ask it here. What is the average price a buyer will have to pay, at that show, for breeding stock?

Unfortunately, I can't go to the show. I have a couple people who are going to be there, looking for birds for me. One is, hopefully, bringing a roo for me, but he hasn't told me the price. I have hired someone else to transport the birds back here to CA. I have to send some money with them and I have no idea how much I should send. I might not even be able to afford this, but I have to get some good stock!

I know that prices are going to vary, but could you give me a price range or guesstimate?

Thank you,
Kim

I was online early yesterday morning and then farmed the rest of the day. It seems you rec'd some excellent answers though.... didn't need me at all! lol.

Quote:
Yes. I have two people looking for them, for me, at the show. I have to send money with the transporter, so he can pay for them. How much does a good SGD cost?

Kim

As to cost, I agree with mame1616. $20-$100 per bird. My guess would be somewhere around $30-50 for a SG Dorking that was a good representation of the breed.

Walt

Oh good. I was a little worried after hearing what some Greenfire Farm's birds go for.

It's not that I don't want to pay what they're worth. I was concerned that maybe I couldn't afford them.

mame1616, you are right. I have done research and have been trying to get better stock for years now. My sources are well qualified, just getting the birds from them has been a challenge!

Thank you to all of you who responded to my question,
Kim

Quote:
I've been through the same thing for the past few years. After, of course, I have bought a bird off the show floor, or from a breeder I didn't know, only to find out that the bird(s) wasn't a good representation, and now I'm stuck with them. (Mostly because I'm a sucker and won't sell them). The few birds I have that I've gotten the right way are great, and worth the wait, but man, it is a long, hard wait! Even now, I'm trying to set up with a couple of breeders to pick up at Crossroads. But then I'm stuck with the "sight unseen" thing - what if I don't like them? Sigh - guess I'll worry about that once I find out if they have birds in the first place.

Good luck!

Quote:
I've been through the same thing for the past few years. After, of course, I have bought a bird off the show floor, or from a breeder I didn't know, only to find out that the bird(s) wasn't a good representation, and now I'm stuck with them. (Mostly because I'm a sucker and won't sell them). The few birds I have that I've gotten the right way are great, and worth the wait, but man, it is a long, hard wait! Even now, I'm trying to set up with a couple of breeders to pick up at Crossroads. But then I'm stuck with the "sight unseen" thing - what if I don't like them? Sigh - guess I'll worry about that once I find out if they have birds in the first place.

Good luck!

Even if you aren't crazy about the birds you'll be getting birds from a great gene pool; in the end that's what matters the most (when coming from a good breeder).

I've pre-sold quite a few birds that are going to Crossroads: all sight unseen. Not one person has hesitated to buy them.

Quote:

Good luck!

Even if you aren't crazy about the birds you'll be getting birds from a great gene pool; in the end that's what matters the most (when coming from a good breeder).

I've pre-sold quite a few birds that are going to Crossroads: all sight unseen. Not one person has hesitated to buy them.

That's part of the argument in my head - the genes of the birds. But, I don't have a et-up for breeding right now, so the only thing I can do with my birds is show them. So, I need birds that look right as well as have the good healthy background.

Hatching Orientals and Games now!

My first hatch came off this week. It was a small one, but the first couple usually are. I've had the breed pens setup since the week before Thanksgiving.
Hatching:
Cubalaya
Asil
Games
Malay Bantams
Asil Bantams

Later I hope to get out:
Shamo
Ga Cua
China Games
Malagche

What old and rare breeds are y'all hatching now? Later?

Back
Top Bottom