Old Barn Stall for Coop??

tigerbarbd

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Maryville,Tennessee
Good afternoon fellow Chickeners.....We all ready have a 6'x8' coop, that we built about 6 months ago, for the 6 rir that we already have. However, we are planning to get 25 more chicks. So, the plan is to convert the Barn stall, which is 12'x12' ,to a coop for the 6 adults, and provide them with a 25' x 50' pasture run, and put the new chicks in the original coop,until they are big enough to join the adults. I think that will work, but we are still newbees so any advice would be appreciated! Our original coop is working great, and the hens must be happy, we get an average of 40 eggs a week. Thank you.......Don

I think this would be a great idea! One of the regulars on here has a stall converted chicken coop. She uses fencing to allow the chickens to leave the stall, through the barn, and outside to her run. Good luck...you already have a great start on your newest coop:celebrate

I've seen it pretty often! works fine, it's nice if you can cut a pop door in the outside wall, but if not, it's ok too. I've seen where they just trundle around the inside of the barn esp in nasty weather, but you may not want that. depending on how many you have it can get messy, but really it's not usually the end of the world.

I'd keep em locked in the stall for a nice few days or even a whole week so they know to go in THERE to roost after you move them... if they're easy to catch/move/lure with treats, that should work too though.

It should make a wonderful home for your chickens!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom