Old Barn Stall for Coop??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tigerbarbd, Sep 12, 2009.

1. tigerbarbd

tigerbarbd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Maryville,Tennessee
    Good afternoon fellow Chickeners.....We all ready have a 6'x8' coop, that we built about 6 months ago, for the 6 rir that we already have. However, we are planning to get 25 more chicks. So, the plan is to convert the Barn stall, which is 12'x12' ,to a coop for the 6 adults, and provide them with a 25' x 50' pasture run, and put the new chicks in the original coop,until they are big enough to join the adults. I think that will work, but we are still newbees so any advice would be appreciated! Our original coop is working great, and the hens must be happy, we get an average of 40 eggs a week. Thank you.......Don

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this would be a great idea! One of the regulars on here has a stall converted chicken coop. She uses fencing to allow the chickens to leave the stall, through the barn, and outside to her run. Good luck...you already have a great start on your newest coop:celebrate

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen it pretty often! works fine, it's nice if you can cut a pop door in the outside wall, but if not, it's ok too. I've seen where they just trundle around the inside of the barn esp in nasty weather, but you may not want that. depending on how many you have it can get messy, but really it's not usually the end of the world.

I'd keep em locked in the stall for a nice few days or even a whole week so they know to go in THERE to roost after you move them... if they're easy to catch/move/lure with treats, that should work too though.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post. Sounds like a good plan to me...

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Just make sure you secure the stall from digging guests. That seems to be the biggest problem in barns.

6. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

DH and I are planning on building a barn (complete with concrete floors) and I think I will build interior stalls and use as coops!!! Great minds think alike!!

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    It should make a wonderful home for your chickens! [​IMG]

8. Troy6671

Troy6671 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    Allegan Michigan
    My girls (13 of them) are in a 15 x 12 barn stall with a large out door run! The stall works great and the eggs are a comin!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by