OLD COOP DISEASES?

I don't like bleach for anything but laundry, myself. Vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, misted from separate bottles but allowed to mix on the surface, is a highly effective cleaner (more effective than bleach according to the study I read) as well as being cheap and non-toxic as far as residues go. I'd still use gloves and work in a ventilated area as well as allowing to dry before adding chicks.

Last edited:
Can you cite that study? I would love to use something less harsh and toxic than bleach, but it has always been my understanding that there are viruses that will only be killed by adequate exposure to bleach. The vets that I have been talking to all said to use bleach on the parvo contaminated surfaces, nothing else will kill it.

IMO nothing kills germs as well as bleach. It soaks into wood as well, then guess what, it evaporates. Given time it is gone..which is why you have to keep adding it to swimming pools. It is caustic however and so are the initial fumes...but it sure does eliminate all viruses and bacteria.and parasites and fungus and...well everything. :)

Can you cite that study? I would love to use something less harsh and toxic than bleach, but it has always been my understanding that there are viruses that will only be killed by adequate exposure to bleach. The vets that I have been talking to all said to use bleach on the parvo contaminated surfaces, nothing else will kill it.

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arch/9_28_96/food.htm

I was originally reading about it when researching cleaning fruit/veggies after the umpteenth listeria/salmonella/ecoli report. But there's no reason you can't clean a chicken coop the same as you would your cutting board.

I haven't found a reliable or definitive answer about whether it kills viruses so it may be that you have to bleach the coop once since you don't know what killed the previous occupants but for routine cleaning, I'm all about the non-toxic solution.

Very interesting, thanks for the cite. I think I will mention it to the vet and see what she thinks. I would be concerned that parvovirus may be tenacious enough to resist it but I would sure rather use peroxide and vinegar on my floors and furniture than bleach.

My bad, I was talking about canine parvo (just nursed a puppy thru it) and how to safely rid the house and toys of the virus that can live up to a year on surfaces and up to seven years in the soil.

Last edited:
Peroxide can be pretty caustic too. I use bleach for cleaning....kills everything and it dissipates. Acid based solution like vinegar needs to saturate bacteria for at least two minutes to be effective. I wouldn't mix any of these solutions together.

if you mix one cup of bleach to 5 gllons of water you can spray teh coop including soil let dry throughly for 3 days and all viruses and contagions are gone, but you have to clean the coop first. scrub all surfaces with hot soapy water, rinse well and spray the bleach solution the next day. Bleach only works on clean surfaces, vinegar will do the same, but takes 3 minutes of sitting ton surface to work.

Back
Top Bottom