old days

usmcpilot06

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
When I was a child, about 35 years ago, I remember my grandfather giving the chickens all of the table scraps. My chicks are about 6 weeks old now, would hurt to give them left over salad mix?

When I was a child, about 35 years ago, I remember my grandfather giving the chickens all of the table scraps. My chicks are about 6 weeks old now, would hurt to give them left over salad mix?
Won't hurt them. But they need a high protein diet to develop. Salads and such fill their belly's and they won't consume as much starter feed. Just feed it in moderation. There will be plenty of chances later to feed roughage and scraps.

I give my chickens any food off my table, but I do it in the evening around dinner, if its bad for them my chickens wont eat it but song birds and squirrels will gladly eat any leftovers.

Lol...:frow
I remember my Grandma too having a slop pail for Pigs and Chickens..
Chicken were never kept over Winter though and used for meat. Butchered each Fall.
Laying Hens require proper management and good quality feed to produce great eggs.:frow..They can develop fatty liver syndrome If over fed scraps..

not look
Won't hurt them. But they need a high protein diet to develop. Salads and such fill their belly's and they won't consume as much starter feed. Just feed it in moderation. There will be plenty of chances later to feed roughage and scraps.
Not looking to make their main diet, just a snack while they re out side for the day. They have their stated feed which i use to get them back inside..

Back
Top Bottom