Old dog run into a chicken coop?

yknowthatgirl

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2017
Berwick, Nova Scotia
Hi everyone!

I'm very new to the whole chicken thing! In fact in getting my first chicks in April. I'm renting a house and with permission from my awesome landlords, I'm allowed to convert their old dog run they used for their huskies into a chicken coop!

This is what it looks like now:
[/IMG]

My plan is to make the outside look (a lot) nicer. However I'm not sure what to do about insulating it?

They also have those cement blocks people use for walkways on the ground. I was thinking of adding rubber mats, like used in horse stalls to the bottom. What do you think about that?

I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. So it does get pretty cold. Windchill is the biggest factor here. So, I would love to know what you have used to insulate your coops!

My plan is for 4-6 hens to start and go from there! I know about roost and nesting boxes and the like, so I'm mostly looking for info on making it warm enough for them in the dead of winter. The little door actually goes out into an old horse pasture that is still fenced in, so I'll be using that and adding chicken wire to the inside of the fencing and maybe some netting on the top.

Thanks all! I've been lurking this website for a long time now.
263a.png

Welcome to BYC!

First make sure that roof is waterproof, no leaks.

I would not worry about insulation, ventilation is much more important.
Windchill only really counts if it hits skin.....chicken have nice down coats on, usually good down to about -20F(-28C).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

You may want to add some windows for adjustable for both ventilation and light.
I like top hinged, glazed windows for that purpose...leave em open all summer to keep rain out and air in, close in winter for daylight.

The cement blocks are on the ground inside the 'coop'?
I'm assuming there is no floor, just dirt under the cement pavers?
Depending on what kind of coop bedding you use, might not need floor mats.
Plus mats can harbor rodents and moisture/mold/mildew..and they are expensive.

Speaking of rodents, and other predators, you'll might need to put an anti-dig apron made of welded wire mesh around the coop and/or run.
Tho the cement pavers inside the coop may be enough to keep anything from diggin into the coop itself.
advanced search>titles only>anti dig apron

Speaking of predators, not sure what the horse fence is, but chicken wire is not predator proof.
Looks like there might be some electric wire there too.

Best of cLuck....seems like you need to do more 'lurking'.

Last edited:
No insulation, no stall mats. That other post that aart referenced is a great one. And for bedding, the straw that's already in there is perfect, get more of that. Or pine shavings if it makes more economic sense.

PapaBear

Back
Top Bottom