old doggy--tricks to make her eat? pg. 6

We just finished our neuro class in vet school and I think it sounds like a neuro problem as well. Did your veterinarian conduct a routine neurological exam on her? You may want to schedule a consult with a veterinary neurologist and he/she can see if Hailey has something treatable. For instance, if she is showing peripheral vestibular signs it could be an inner ear infection. Veterinary schools usually have a few neurologists on staff who would be able to talk to you and offer valuable advice.

Quote:
the drinking lots of water, and losing weight, it is the same as a person. My 14 year old buster did the same things, my vet who was diabetic recognized it right away and went home and got his own insulin and treated my dog. it was very caring of him.

I don't know what to say Gretchen. I am so sorry to know you are hurting. Hugs and love!
hugs.gif

Thank you my fellow veggie tale sing songer.

My poor girl...I heard her trying to get up so I assisted...she let loose a few drops of urine but by the time we got her outside, she just sat there in the sun and didn't use the bathroom.

So we just sat out there for a good long while...soaking in the sun. Anytime I tried to get up, so did she...so I stayed put.

poor little (ok, big) girl.

Well.....my brittany Andy was losing a bunch of weight (#20) and drinking water like crazy. We took him in for blood work and it was kidney failure. He had a stroke during this health decline which might go with kidney problems but i am no DR. Its never easy to see your pet weaken. I suggest blood work to check for it.

this same thing happened to our 14 yr old dog...4 years ago. The vet gave him a cortisone shot, thought it was a neurological issue. He wanted to do a brain scan to check it out, and could possibly lead to brain surgery, but no guarantees that this would help. Our dog was physically healthy and this could add _?_?_? time to his life.....

after a very tough discussion with my husband (who got our beloved Harley during his sr year of college) We decided to put him down. We took him home, had a few hours with him, and our kids. But Harley could no longer walk, drink, etc. We couldn't let him be miserable. Our whole family was crying.

My husband and I took him to the vet to be put down, let Harley fall asleep in our arms (left the room for the actual 'event') from a sedative. We have pleasant memories of our Harley. My husband did have dreams about Harley's head on his arm for weeks after.

That was a Tuesday, and by that Saturday, we added our yellow lab, Lucy.
She has brought so much joy to our life. Harley was a black lab. We wanted the opposite of him as to not "replace" him. My husband still has the "Harley Davidson" tag that Harley wore on his collar, he keeps it on his keychain.

As difficult as this experience was, we know that Harley is in a better place
smile.png
we feel like we did the right thing so he wouldn't have to suffer. He had lived a good life and gave us many years of joy.

My heart goes out to you....losing a pet is really hard. Some people don't get another dog right away, but we did what was right for our family. My prayers are with you!

Back
Top Bottom