old doggy--tricks to make her eat? pg. 6

maplesky7

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
N. IL.
I got out of the hospital 4/9....and when i got home my 14 yr. old dog seemed to have spells...trouble walking...going sideways to the right...but she'd shake out of them in a minute or two.

She probably did that 3-4 times and then seemed to get better.

Today she hasn't shaked out of it like before...is there anything I can give her to help her some?

She has been dropping weight...drinking alot...probably her liver...I have taken her to the vet...who didn't offer much of a solution at that time...other than she's a big old dog and 14 is old. and some meds for alzheimers (forgetfullness) but i turned it down.

I know her time is coming...are there any people out there that may offer advice in making her feel a little better?

hugs and thanks,
Gretch

Last edited:
We had a cat that had a stroke at about 10, she lived until 17. She also had trouble walking, but she actually was paralized in the beginning and recovered to walking sideways and kind of stumbling sometimes.
I think at 14 the best you can do is keep her comfortable and familiar. I am heading down this road with my 12 year Cocker Spaniel, he is going deaf and blind and has trouble getting up on the couch now. I am just doing the best I can with him and making whatever time he has left as comfortable for him as possible. I know it is hard to deal with, we get so attached to them
hugs.gif

I don't know of anything you can do to help her. Just keep her comfortable and in familar surroundings. Maybe call a vet and ask them--is there a different one than the one you took her to before?

We have a 11 yr 10 month old Saint Bernard (average life span is 6-8 years) that is pretty much deaf and has arthritis. We have let everyone who is a regular in and out of the driveway know she is deaf and has trouble getting around sometimes so they know to give her plenty of space and time.

Here's some
hugs.gif
for you. It's hard when our pets get old.

Well,
Hailey woke up this morning and went out with Grandma--who's been staying with me to help take care of things since my heart attack...she went outside and took a long tinkle mom said but was ok.

By the time I got up about an hour later....Hailey was having trouble walking on the linoleum floor and just walking period. She can't seem to hold herself up real good and is going to the right.

I helped her back in and took her over to her dog bed and we went to church.

When we came back...my couch, which is a daybed, Hailey had layed next to it and was half way rolled under--she's done that frequently and then can't get out unless you slide her forward. So I took her out again and she peed but she's really bad at walking and standing. I brought her back into her bed, where she just lay and looked kind of sad. Her breathing has seemed shallow the last few days too.

I gave her a can of wet cat food at breakfast and another one just now--that had a gravy in it too...she sat up enough to gobble it right up. Then I brought the dog bowl over to her and she had a good drink but it really seems like work for her to sit up.

Sometimes she just looks at me and seems a little sad...and other times she looks at me and gives me a little wag of her tail. So I've been sitting by her and stroking her and kissing her.

Our male dog, Poncho, seemed to sniff her today like he sensed something was wrong when we were outside and she was having troubles. Then when I was feeding her the wet cat food, he was looking at me like....don't I get to be hand fed in bed? silly boy. I know he will miss her when she goes....they've been real good buds but he's half her age.

Just the other day they were pushing each other and biting at each others feet outside. I had to remind him to be nice but they both seemed to be having fun. I will have many happy memories of Hailey but it's so hard and so very sad to my soul that it's time for her to go and she won't get anymore tennis balls thrown out in the water for her to fetch....I'm gonna miss my girl.

What a mother's day...and tomorrow is my birthday...ugh sigh.

My heart hurts.

hugs and tears,
gretch

Thanks everyone... I thought I'd be ok when I thought about loosing her a while ago... but I've got a lump in my throat. I'm so sad.

Gretch - has your vet ruled out vestibular disease? We have a cocker spaniel that's around 17 and one morning he couldn't stand up. We thought "well this is it" but it turned out to be vestibular disease, which is also known as "old dog disease". He's recovered some, but he still holds his head to one side (it's kinda cute, actually). Some days he's better than others. Sometimes he just falls over like he's drunk.

He's otherwise okay now. It's not expensive to treat, just some cheap pills and ear drops. Maybe this is Hailey's problem.

Good luck with her. If it is just her time to go, know you gave her a wonderful life full of love.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
So sorry to hear this , lots of prayers going out for Hailey and you.

Wish it wasnt Mother's Day and your birthday when all this was happening! My sister's b-day is tomorrow too. Hang in there,
fl.gif
that Hailey pulls through for you!

Take care,

Nancy

Quote:
I did some reading on what you mentioned and it does seem like she is doing all of what they say...the head tild, hard to walk, and vommitted.

Just now she seemed to pick her head up better when I walked by.

Back
Top Bottom