Old enough for outside ???

Are they ready for outside?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when above a certain temp (feel free to share your "cutoff" temps)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well...they're out there. I still feel guilty and they're all acting like dummies..refusing to go up top where the heat is. Ill wait till theyre scared right about dark n hopefully they'll stay put. They were flying back down on my head faster than i couod catch and move them..lol. I think they'll be fine, but brooder is right outside my bedroom window just in case.Now if I could convince the new babies that theyre not really meant to be carried in my hoodie and to stop screaming in the brooder we'll be okay

What do you mean they're refusing to go up top? Do you mean they're out in their run and the coop is elevated? They don't automatically recognize home from the outside. I have my brooder all one level and the roof is clear corrugated material so it's as bright inside as out. They can easily see the familiar heating pad, feeder, waterer, etc. from the run and I've never had to show a chick how to get back in. But, I've heard that some chicks need a bit of help with concepts like ramps.

Quote:What do you mean they're refusing to go up top? Do you mean they're out in their run and the coop is elevated? They don't automatically recognize home from the outside. I have my brooder all one level and the roof is clear corrugated material so it's as bright inside as out. They can easily see the familiar heating pad, feeder, waterer, etc. from the run and I've never had to show a chick how to get back in. But, I've heard that some chicks need a bit of help with concepts like ramps.

Yeah sorry probably should have attached a pic.. bottom is about the same size as a chainlink dog kennel (not as tall) with a solid wood floor 3/4 of the way dividing the camper and the run. I am using a truck camper shell as the top. There is a ramp, they had it figured out 2 weeks ago when their outside time started and but refused to go up to sleep. Heating pad area has been set up in there since day 1 too and they will go up to play around, but not towards dark. Even when I wasnt leaving them out and was just later getting out to bring them in, theyd all pile on the ground in a corner.

It sounds as if a better solution would be for you to move out and let the chicks have the house!
lau.gif

I did also add a feeder and water in the top just to encourage them earlier but left the ones in the bottom so they could have cared less. They didnt seem to be bothered by the temp at all when I went out and moved them. It was about 45 or so then and not supposed to get much colder at all so .... Im still a nervous wreck. I always boot my ducks out as early as possible and Ive still got these 3 inside and theyre going on a month old. 2 are huge and fine, but there is one that is 1/3 the size of the other 2(same exact age) and Im just not ready to throw the little outside. But its way too messy to add to a brooder with chicks (not to mention the 2 bigger are the most hateful brats and Im afraid the little one picked up on it and will bully the chicks)

Quote:
My kids would probably hate me..lol.. but I have spent many many nights with a blanket and pillow in the horses stalls all night. If only my wifi would reach that far...

Oh. Can you shut them in the coop? They haven't figured out that it's their safe home yet (they somehow got the idea that YOUR house is where they should sleep...) After they've slept in the coop a few nights, they should return to it as their safe place.

I'm gonna share this pic I saved from PD riverman. I use a similar setup with a cardboard box. I like his better because it has a skirt and is raised off the ground which I believe is to,keep chicks from being piled on and smashed. I like his design. If and when I go larger with my flock I'll do the same. It's a barrel split in two with a lightbulb and a skirt. My dad tought me the box trick and this is an upgrade on the same principle. Two nights ago it was raining like crazy and 35 degrees, other nights it's been below freezing. My box is in the coop outside with two week olds and they are happy as can be.

I'm gonna share this pic I saved from PD riverman. I use a similar setup with a cardboard box. I like his better because it has a skirt and is raised off the ground which I believe is to,keep chicks from being piled on and smashed. I like his design. If and when I go larger with my flock I'll do the same. It's a barrel split in two with a lightbulb and a skirt. My dad tought me the box trick and this is an upgrade on the same principle. Two nights ago it was raining like crazy and 35 degrees, other nights it's been below freezing. My box is in the coop outside with two week olds and they are happy as can be.

I just LOVE this idea! I built a large enough brooder yesterday in my coop that I might be able to incorporate a smaller version of this...just have to find a container!

Ok..so..usuallyI brood late spring thru late summer and never have to worry about temps when I move the babies outside. However, I am beyond ready for this group ti be outside. I have 4BR babies that REFUSE to stay in the brooder and will jump out, comr out of the chick room and hunt me down wherever i am in the house. Im not sure exactly how old they are, but around 6 weeks. They will have their heating pad mom in their outside coop as well. Hopefully I'm attaching a pic of our forecast and the babies..

what is a heating pad momma? I'm new to raIsing chickens :)

what is a heating pad momma? I'm new to raIsing chickens :)

A human heating pad attached to a framework so it's like the underside of a hen. The chicks go underneath and snuggle up against the pad for warmth/security. The advantages are many: chicks sleep at night as they would naturally, substantially lower power consumption than methods designed to heat a large area, inexpensive to make, and are both warm enough for coop brooding or cool enough to not overheat the brooder in a human house.

Back
Top Bottom