Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I need broody hen help, please.
My Buff Orpington just went broody. She is currently sitting on about a half dozen unfertilized eggs, which I will be replacing with fertile eggs I've had in my incubator for a few days. I also want to move her out of the henhouse and into the garage to a safe, cozy brooder.
Can I just move her off of the nest and onto the eggs I want her to hatch? Do I need to be sneaky about this?

My Buff Orpington just went broody. She is currently sitting on about a half dozen unfertilized eggs, which I will be replacing with fertile eggs I've had in my incubator for a few days. I also want to move her out of the henhouse and into the garage to a safe, cozy brooder.
Can I just move her off of the nest and onto the eggs I want her to hatch? Do I need to be sneaky about this?

I only had success once just moving a broody during the day. All other times they returned to the nest and ignored my new nest area. So for those times I had to be sneaky. Prep the area during the day with some fake eggs (ping pong balls or golf balls work too) and wait until night time. At night put a towel over her head and move her to the new location in the dark. Wait a day to make sure she is staying before giving her the fertile eggs.

When I moved my broody I swapped the eggs then and put her and the nest in a cat carrier. This way I could move her and the nest anytime and not bother her again as well as making sure that there really wasnt room for her to nest away from the eggs. There was also enough room in the carrier for a water and food dish. Worked good so far. We are on day 11 and all things good till now!!
She seems much happier now that she is a stable place too!!

Thank you all so much! She's moving into a gigantic Rubbermaid container tonight, with a nice nest box set up for her and her egglettes. I really hope she wants to stay in the broody zone!

Last edited:
So cute!! I wish you luck!!!
fl.gif

Once I'm ready to hatch eggs I'm gonna have to move my hen too, so i hope everything goes good!

Back
Top Bottom