Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My first chick under my cochin hen hatched this morning. He was loud and proud this morning:)

We have chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went out to do our morning chores and checks, we cleaned the other coops and collected eggs... all the while we could here all kinds of chirping coming from the broody pen...

after getting the chores finished we uncovered the wall of the broody pen and couldn't see anything different... but boy could we hear them!!! So Radioman got the camera ready and I did a quick lift to check.... and.......

wee.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif

Looks like 4 or maybe 5? so far... I took out a few egg shells that were laying right in the front, but didn't lift Gracie any higher or otherwise try to touch any chicks... One looked damp yet so I only held her up a few seconds... just long enough to snap this pic and grab those shells....
It was happy time in the coop after we finally saw fluffy butts!!!

Now we get to wait to see if any more hatch... it is too cold to keep her off the nest for more than a second or two, and I didn't even lift her the whole way. We had 8 eggs under her, so will check again this evening to see if we can tell any better. But not going to worry about the remaining eggs till tomorrow evening at earliest.
We are just tickled that Gracie will finally have a few chicks since she's been so determined this winter!

We have chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went out to do our morning chores and checks, we cleaned the other coops and collected eggs... all the while we could here all kinds of chirping coming from the broody pen...

after getting the chores finished we uncovered the wall of the broody pen and couldn't see anything different... but boy could we hear them!!! So Radioman got the camera ready and I did a quick lift to check.... and.......

wee.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif

Looks like 4 or maybe 5? so far... I took out a few egg shells that were laying right in the front, but didn't lift Gracie any higher or otherwise try to touch any chicks... One looked damp yet so I only held her up a few seconds... just long enough to snap this pic and grab those shells....
It was happy time in the coop after we finally saw fluffy butts!!!
So cute!

Asparagus eventually mated his first hen today, he was so rough! Will he get less ruugh soon?! he preactically had his claws around her neck holding her down. He mated his auntie twice, then after that he got a boost of confidence and chased one hen around but could catch her then he tried his mother with i found weird but she got away from him. I think hes the boss now because his dad just watched, he wasnt bothered one bit :/, now no hens will come out the shed because Asparagus sits at the pop hole waiting for them!

LOL Johnn! He'll probably get less rough, he's gotta practice.

Fisherlady that picture is so darn cute! They're like "what the heck are you doing?!"

He tried to mate the little Ancona but she just ran through his legs and into the shed shes that small!

I have a few Bantam Old English Game chickens. They are a lot wilder than my Dominique chickens. They can easily fly over a 4 foot fence and then roam where I don't want them. The Dominiques stay in in the fenced area unless something really scares them.

However, the Old English Game hens are very broody so I suppose wild acting is just part of it.

one of my eggs hatched im so happy
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
but thats only one .. out of 3 one was rotten and the other was lighter so idk if there is a chick or not i will have to wait and see ... should i get another chick so if my bantam egg doesn't hatch my other chick will have someone to grow up with ?

Back
Top Bottom