Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Newest babies... Only 5 for this hen but I like the color variations. I have 2 more broodies to go and i think i am going to hang up my hatching boots for this season. These little guys are about to wear me out
Sooo Cute!!!
wee.gif

Hey all, could anyone tell me how many eggs can be put under a buff orp hen without overwhelming the poor bird? I've had broodies before but I usually only let them keep two or three eggs. This time, since I wanted to get into some other breeds, I decided to put her to work! I have 24+ eggs headed my way, and I can pop some in my incubator so she doesn't get overwhelmed. Just wondering how many she can handle. Thanks!

Hey all, could anyone tell me how many eggs can be put under a buff orp hen without overwhelming the poor bird? I've had broodies before but I usually only let them keep two or three eggs. This time, since I wanted to get into some other breeds, I decided to put her to work! I have 24+ eggs headed my way, and I can pop some in my incubator so she doesn't get overwhelmed. Just wondering how many she can handle. Thanks!
How big is she? If she is big I would probablies put 12 under her, just under big 10 and if she's small then 8 :). Some people say they can handle 15 when big but my girl is big and she struggled with 12, I don't know weather that's because she is dumb or if she actually couldn't cover them.

Personally I'd say 10. I've had them set more, but to be on the safe side.. not to mention, the more kids the more they're gonna drive her nuts when they starting moving around
smile.png

Good Luck!

I am so excited we have a broody hen. She is sitting on 6 eggs. We got Buff Orpingtons last year for this very reason, so far only one has gone broody but its a great start. I will post hatch
pictures as long as she follows through. She has done great so far we are in day 5 already.

I am so excited we have a broody hen. She is sitting on 6 eggs. We got Buff Orpingtons last year for this very reason, so far only one has gone broody but its a great start. I will post hatch pictures as long as she follows through. She has done great so far we are in day 5 already.
Congrats!!!! Thus was my first experience with s broody, it was great.

Back
Top Bottom