Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Is it just me of does anyone else think my little white egg actually looks rotten? I think it is but I don't want to take it out incase its not! It's also really light, the other feel heavier so I just hope adleast one has a chick in!

I'm starting to trust the broody with her eggs more after today because when she went back on the nest and sat down, one egg popped out and she noticed it and got up and tucked it back under:

Hi Everyone! I am just jumping in here, then I'm going to go back and read, read, read!

I have a broody Cuckoo Marans. I don't have a mature rooster so I bought 8 hatching eggs for her (Olive Eggers). She's been sitting on them since Sunday (April 21). This is my first broody and I'm very excited. So far, she's been stellar!

Hi Everyone! I am just jumping in here, then I'm going to go back and read, read, read!

I have a broody Cuckoo Marans. I don't have a mature rooster so I bought 8 hatching eggs for her (Olive Eggers). She's been sitting on them since Sunday (April 21). This is my first broody and I'm very excited. So far, she's been stellar!

Good Luck!

We have a Buff Wyandotte bantam hen that just would not quite with this broody idea. I gave up and set her with Splash/Black orpington large fowl eggs. Expecting 100% Blue Orpingtons! She is due in about 2 1/2 weeks.

I realize this is an old thread....but...I have always used a broody hen to raise my little chickies. It is so much easier and so much fun to watch the mothers raising them babies and protecting them, teaching them to eat and drink and run from danger.
One year I had a beautiful dark charcoal colored Araucana hen, dubbed 'Super Chicken' not only because of her fantastic motherhood abilities but she could climb a 6 foot fence with beak and feet. She had 5 babies one year and I was sitting watching her with them. Suddenly some big black birds flew close by and she very loudly 'CLUCK CLUCK CLUCKED' to her babies and they all ran in separate directions and hid. So well that even I could not find them. After the danger had passed she softly called to them and they all slowly came from out of hiding again and proceeding their pecking at the ground as if nothing had happened. It was so amazing.

Psalms 32:7 You are my hiding place. You will preserve me from trouble. You will surround me with songs of deliverance.

That is the Amazing natural protective qualities that God gave the mother hen when He created her.
And it is so much fun to sit and watch those babies climbing all over mom, one on top of her and others underneath her wings.

Psalm 61:4 ....safe beneath the shelter of your wings!

When I watch my mother hens with their babies it reminds me of God's wonderful promises to us that love Him!

I think it is much more fun to allow them to raise their own. And, I have always left them with the rest of the flock, assuming they are already established with the flock before the babies are hatched.
The mother hen will most certainly protect the babies from the rest of the flock, No worries there.

Besides, I am disabled and the mere thought of all that extra work involved of caring for baby chicks after they hatch until they can be out on their own....whew!
I'd much rather let mum take care of them.

Last year I had the pleasure of my Aracuana Miss Henny going broody for me. and she too did a fine job of raising her babies.
I am hoping she will feel broody again this season.
smile.png

I too mark the fertilized eggs, once Miss Henny starts to sit, with a light pencil mark all the way around the egg. That way when any of the other girls lay their eggs in her nest I can collect them.
I allow Miss Henny about 15 eggs to sit on. This usually gains me 5 to 8 hatchlings a season from her. I keep a small flock so this is plenty.

As far as feeding them and watering them after they hatch.....last season she chose a lower nesting box, thankfully, if she had chosen an upper one, I would have moved her and her eggs to a lower one asap.
Last season as soon as the first chick hatched I placed a small dish of chick starter and a small saucer of water in the nesting box next to her. The babies have access to it behind the wall. But the other hens cannot get to them. Neither can Miss Henny.
As far as them getting in and out of the box that Miss Henny is in I created small steps with some boards down to the floor, only about 5 inches. Those little buggers can jump early on. So that was not a problem for them.

Sitting and watching them the very first days, and keeping an eye on the other hens as well.....there was no problems with the other hens bothering them. They were more curious then anything.

All worked out well.

Broody hens Rule!
love.gif

Last edited:
she looks exactly the same as my hen whos sat on 5 pheasant eggs.Good luck!
thank you!
Great broody stinkeye pic
big_smile.png
Hehehehe thanks. I was taking my camera's life into my hands ;)

I realize this is an old thread....but...I have always used a broody hen to raise my little chickies. It is so much easier and so much fun to watch the mothers raising them babies and protecting them, teaching them to eat and drink and run from danger.
One year I had a beautiful dark charcoal colored Araucana hen, dubbed 'Super Chicken' not only because of her fantastic motherhood abilities but she could climb a 6 foot fence with beak and feet. She had 5 babies one year and I was sitting watching her with them. Suddenly some big black birds flew close by and she very loudly 'CLUCK CLUCK CLUCKED' to her babies and they all ran in separate directions and hid. So well that even I could not find them. After the danger had passed she softly called to them and they all slowly came from out of hiding again and proceeding their pecking at the ground as if nothing had happened. It was so amazing.

Psalms 32:7 You are my hiding place. You will preserve me from trouble. You will surround me with songs of deliverance.

That is the Amazing natural protective qualities that God gave the mother hen when He created her.
And it is so much fun to sit and watch those babies climbing all over mom, one on top of her and others underneath her wings.

Psalm 61:4 ....safe beneath the shelter of your wings!

When I watch my mother hens with their babies it reminds me of God's wonderful promises to us that love Him!

I think it is much more fun to allow them to raise their own. And, I have always left them with the rest of the flock, assuming they are already established with the flock before the babies are hatched.
The mother hen will most certainly protect the babies from the rest of the flock, No worries there.

Besides, I am disabled and the mere thought of all that extra work involved of caring for baby chicks after they hatch until they can be out on their own....whew!
I'd much rather let mum take care of them.

Last year I had the pleasure of my Aracuana Miss Henny going broody for me. and she too did a fine job of raising her babies.
I am hoping she will feel broody again this season.
smile.png

I too mark the fertilized eggs, once Miss Henny starts to sit, with a light pencil mark all the way around the egg. That way when any of the other girls lay their eggs in her nest I can collect them.
I allow Miss Henny about 15 eggs to sit on. This usually gains me 5 to 8 hatchlings a season from her. I keep a small flock so this is plenty.

As far as feeding them and watering them after they hatch.....last season she chose a lower nesting box, thankfully, if she had chosen an upper one, I would have moved her and her eggs to a lower one asap.
Last season as soon as the first chick hatched I placed a small dish of chick starter and a small saucer of water in the nesting box next to her. The babies have access to it behind the wall. But the other hens cannot get to them. Neither can Miss Henny.
As far as them getting in and out of the box that Miss Henny is in I created small steps with some boards down to the floor, only about 5 inches. Those little buggers can jump early on. So that was not a problem for them.

Sitting and watching them the very first days, and keeping an eye on the other hens as well.....there was no problems with the other hens bothering them. They were more curious then anything.

All worked out well.

Broody hens Rule!
love.gif
I LOVE the Bible verses you quoted. Never thought to apply them here but they are PERFECT!

Thanks guys! I think I'll start her with ten, and see how they do. Since they're shipped, I'm hoping for 50% hatch rate at best, so as she kicks out bad ones I'll put in good ones from the 'bator, I think.

Back
Top Bottom