Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My girl is aiming for you as soon as she hears you coming towards the crate, she wants blood! I have two broodies, FooFoo's eggs are due 2 days after Flufferpants' but FooFoo is a lady she just poofs and growls. Flufferpants is a mad vampire with a beak.

Quote:
As long as she can't leave the broody box yes you can move her. If she can get out she'll most likely go back to where she was sitting even if her eggs aren't there. or you can wait till chicks have hatched the first 24 hrs and move them all then. But it would probably be less stressful to move her now. Congrats and let us know how it goes, and pics we love pics.
smile.png

Thank you, Miss Lydia! The kids and I worked all day on "fencing in" the broody coop and we moved Pip and her eleven eggs into her temporary home. Fortunately, I did build the broody coop with a locking door and she's locked up now. However, she hasn't sat on her clutch since we put her in there and that was about 5 hours ago. Is that a bad thing? It's rather warm out today but the eggs are cooling.
sad.png
Should I be concerned? It's been 14 days since she started setting.
hu.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Pip literally bit me then hissed and growled at me a day and a half into sitting! I figured it would be best to do what's natural to her after that!
lol.png

Quote:
As long as she can't leave the broody box yes you can move her. If she can get out she'll most likely go back to where she was sitting even if her eggs aren't there. or you can wait till chicks have hatched the first 24 hrs and move them all then. But it would probably be less stressful to move her now. Congrats and let us know how it goes, and pics we love pics.
smile.png

Thank you, Miss Lydia! The kids and I worked all day on "fencing in" the broody coop and we moved Pip and her eleven eggs into her temporary home. Fortunately, I did build the broody coop with a locking door and she's locked up now. However, she hasn't sat on her clutch since we put her in there and that was about 5 hours ago. Is that a bad thing? It's rather warm out today but the eggs are cooling.
sad.png
hu.gif

Sometimes it really upsets them but they usually settle down when they can't get back to the original nest. try putting an old towel or blanket over the top and see if that helps her feel better. If it's warm out hopefully they'll be okay.

We put 7 eggs under our broody bantam cochin on Oct 6 and yesterday when I went in to check on her I could hear peeps!! We are very new to chickens and this is our first time trying to hatch, it feels like a miracle that this whole thing actually works. Only 2 of the eggs turned out to be fertile and they both hatched, the chicks are dark colored. I'm interested to see what they look like as they grow, our rooster is a white bantam frizzled cochin and the hens are a mix of different heritage breeds.
Here's a picture of our broody box
109124_dscn1855.jpg

and here's a picture of broody mama with two chicks peeking out from under her wing on the right side, I couldn't get a clear picture of the chicks because mama won't let them out from under her yet
109124_dscn1890.jpg

Shelly, nice brooder box for your momma hen! She looks very happy. Can't wait to see the chicks when they come out.

We lost another JB chick today. This one was killed accidentally by one of my four yo sons who was not following directions. He has been so torn up, continuously apologizing and getting teary eyed that I never really yelled at him. DHand I both talked to him, DH right away, me after I was calm enough that I didn't have to be afraid of completely losing my motherif the year tiara! A sad day at our house today...

oh no, sorry to hear that! I have 3 sons aged 9,7, and 4. They really want to hold the chicks but so far I'm only letting them look in through the door, we can't afford to lose any, there are only 2 to begin with so hopefully we don't have any accidents. I'm worried about whether mama hen knows how to take care of them but I should probably stop worrying, she handled the hatching part fine without any interference from us.

Quote:
sad.png
hu.gif

Sometimes it really upsets them but they usually settle down when they can't get back to the original nest. try putting an old towel or blanket over the top and see if that helps her feel better. If it's warm out hopefully they'll be okay.

Miss Lydia, Pip finally settled down around her bedtime. Her eggs were cool to the touch about an hour before she settled but I believe everything will turn out as it should! Thank you for your encouragement! I really needed it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom