Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

ep.gif
My 1st broody is sitting on 3 eggs that were given to me from under another broody at a farm down the street (no roos here!) and should be 1 week along today. But I candled tonight and the little boogers are WAY further along than that - at least 2 weeks maybe more!!!!! I've got to get ready for chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the little one, Jl.
sad.png
And I too have major brooder box envy, Shelly!
thumbsup.gif
Congrats!!

thanks for the compliments on my brooder box everyone. It was actually just an existing cabinet inside our barn built by the previous owners for storage. I just took off one on the doors and replaced in with some mesh wire. We've blocked the bottom of the mesh with some cardboard now to keep the chicks from falling through. Does anyone know how long I should leave momma and babies in there before moving them to a bigger area? I was thinking of building a plywood enclosure inside the barn with a heat lamp, it's starting to freeze at night here so I'm a little worried if they are going to be warm enough.

Thanks everyone. We prayed for the little chick at bedtime, so sad. I'd like to kick myself in the backside. I was out there with them, but in the other coop, and had almost told them to just stay out until I could get over there to watch them but they'd been so good I let them in... Dummy! They are still 4 and can't resist fluffiness any better than we can!!

Quote:
Sometimes it really upsets them but they usually settle down when they can't get back to the original nest. try putting an old towel or blanket over the top and see if that helps her feel better. If it's warm out hopefully they'll be okay.

Miss Lydia, Pip finally settled down around her bedtime. Her eggs were cool to the touch about an hour before she settled but I believe everything will turn out as it should! Thank you for your encouragement! I really needed it!
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
keep sending updates..
fl.gif

I went to go check on Egg this morning and their is a chick under her!!! Maybe two! I can't really see, I just felt.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I want so badly to pull her off the nest and look at them!!! I won't but gawd I want too!!!!!!! I am a chicken gramma!!

Back
Top Bottom