Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I can honestly say that after a few days, my girls (okay, the two sane ones) return to their cage. I originally had it in the main coop, but now it’s in the storage area turned brooder turned coop turned storage turned... Yesterday everyone free ranged after I mowed (because mowing before it snows again is a fun thing to do), and the girls were back on their eggs when I went down a few hours later.

Last edited:
Things are happening in the mama nesting box. We hooked up a baby monitor in there. So yesterday evening we sat watching and saw at least 4 chicks.
This morning my husband counted 8 chicks. And he took a picture with 8 chicks.

We put food and water just outside the nesting box, so the hen can reach it from where she lays, because I have a feeling that the eggs are hatching over 3 days. Not ideal with hatching over so long time but someone snuck in and layed some more eggs.

Mama Persille is teaching her chicks to eat and drink and it is so amazing to watch.

View attachment 2626134
Isn't it wonderful to watch Momma teach her chicks all the things they need to know?
Mine remain with their chicks for about 3 months, before the chicks start to irritate them. By that time the chicks are soooo big and they still want to act like babies and huddle under Momma.
My Momma hens are also very protective of their babies, to the point of getting into knock down hen fights that have to be broken up. The hens will hurt each other and babies will play together if they are close in age.
It's just fun to watch. :love
My Moms will even teach how to perch on the roosts at night.

The two “sane” girls are doing their thing, and the third is down to only laying in the nest overnight. She’s in need of an apron or to stay calm with the other two. It’s down to about nine days. She usually is willing to glue at this point.
46A6E4BC-E186-4A8F-8E2C-63B1160F23A7.jpeg

We offered hatching services to a few friends. My little broody serama offered to help, so she got to be mama to an overload of baby poultry this weekend. She LOVED it, but seemed a little confused about the ducklings and turkeys.

IMG_1580.jpg

Here she was gently growling at me. Was she grumbling because the chicks were peeping loudly - or because I was giving her more babies.
:lau
IMG_1581 (2).jpg

9 ducklings, 8 turkeys, and 7 chicks went to their new homes. Serama Mama has a manageable brood now

I put my night time broody back in the broody/storage side. She can get her chick fix next week, and hopefully be done like before. I won’t do it again though. When I have the next round of broodies, she will have to be excluded. Silly girl.
Does she hang out with the broodies/chicks on a part-time basis?

I have an almost 9 yr-old hen. Never broody, but curious about everything. After years of being around other hens' chicks, she sometimes tidbits or allows chicks to shelter under her if scared. We call her "Auntie" at those times. It's only for about 30 min a day and only if she 'feels like it', then she goes back to her own chicken activities. She's the old matriarch of the flock, so the other hens pretty much let her do what she wants.

So far, she is always the first to go broody each cycle. She is joined by the other two, and then only sits at night. She’s like a mourning dove in that way (mom and dad take shifts). The last week she gets more serious. Babies hatch, and she does what she should only after she’s taken care of. She is back on the roost in a week. To be honest, it is unknown if it is the chicks’ choice or her’s.

Back
Top Bottom