Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I loved watching Smokey teach her little ones how to get up on the roost. They were up there under her wings by four weeks old. So cute. Keep us posted!
My Blue Cochin hen has been taking her babies up on the roost for over a week now. 2nd or 3rd night one of the chicks seemed to be missing. Checked all trough the Pallet house, even looked Under the house. No chick. Went back inside, counted chicks - then I saw one chick peeking out from under Momma's rear end!! That was sooooo funny. Poor Momma couldn't sit down!!

My Blue Cochin hen has been taking her babies up on the roost for over a week now. 2nd or 3rd night one of the chicks seemed to be missing. Checked all trough the Pallet house, even looked Under the house. No chick. Went back inside, counted chicks - then I saw one chick peeking out from under Momma's rear end!! That was sooooo funny. Poor Momma couldn't sit down!!

haha - that must have been a chuckle to see.

Do you have a final count yet?

Chick did NOT get out of membrane and was still alive when I came back from lunch w/my mom SO son euthanized it for me. It had been that way since found at mid morning and I didn't know how long to tolerate the poor thing being in that position.......I suspect it was one that I foolishly took out last night as egg and told ya'll and was told NOT a good idea because can dry membrane so...hard lesson. Not necessarily, I know, but have to assume and it was unimportant to listen for peeps anyhow.OK-there are now 8 live chicks all australorps. Like I said suzette may have laid a couple AFTER she started brood and I am curious if those(faverolles/australorp mix) will hatch. Amazing how chix can get under suzettes wings and cling. haven't counted remaining eggs but with the math SHOULD be 8 left.

Candled the 4 maran eggs in the bator and tossed them all - they weren't developing. So we're down to 9 potentials: 5 silkies under Smokey and 2 marans/2 silkies under Topsy. Both broodies are still sitting tight on their eggs this morning. 8 days to hatch date!

Do you have a final count yet?
morning-there were 8 as of last night and there are remaining eggs, of course, that I was going to leave until tuesday a.m.(unless thats a horrid idea?)suzette laid a couple of eggs after she started brooding 3 weeks ago and am curious if they'll hatch.Am anxious to move nest to floor and turn it on its side so when moms ready she can venture out. it is FASCINATING how far up moms sides chix can cling. you try to count and most of them are riding on suzettes hips.thanks again for everyone being nice and patient(the computer makes it seem that way anyhow-LOL)

morning-there were 8 as of last night and there are remaining eggs, of course, that I was going to leave until tuesday a.m.(unless thats a horrid idea?)suzette laid a couple of eggs after she started brooding 3 weeks ago and am curious if they'll hatch.Am anxious to move nest to floor and turn it on its side so when moms ready she can venture out. it is FASCINATING how far up moms sides chix can cling. you try to count and most of them are riding on suzettes hips.thanks again for everyone being nice and patient(the computer makes it seem that way anyhow-LOL)
Wow 8 thats great. Now remember chicks can fall out of the nest which may make it hard for them to get back to mama, so you may want to go ahead and move them to floor before the other eggs hatch. As long as she feels secure she'll hang in there. Usually around day 3 she will want to take the chicks that have hatched out so any remaining eggs may get left behind. And yes they can get up into the feathers of mama and hold on for dear life. Be sure to put food and water close by so any of the oldest ones can get to it while she continues to sit. Keep the rest of the flock away too they may harass the new family while mom is still sitting. Congrats~

Awh, can't wait to see pics :)

Okay it's getting down to crunch time, what would you do?

I have 5 chicken eggs due 17th, 8 chicken eggs due the 21st and 6 duck eggs due the 24th.

I have two broody hens, which option do you think will work best?

A: Give Broody #1 all chicken eggs and Broody #2 all duck eggs
B: Give Broody #1 all chicken eggs due 17th and Broody #2 all the eggs due 21st and 24th.

Okay it's getting down to crunch time, what would you do?

I have 5 chicken eggs due 17th, 8 chicken eggs due the 21st and 6 duck eggs due the 24th. 

I have two broody hens, which option do you think will work best?

A: Give Broody #1 all chicken eggs and Broody #2 all duck eggs
B: Give Broody #1 all chicken eggs due 17th and Broody #2 all the eggs due 21st and 24th.

I've never hatched duck eggs. If they have the same qualities as chicken eggs you could mix them. But if they require higher temps or more humidity I would keep them separated. Hopefully someone who has hatched ducks and chicks will help.

Back
Top Bottom