Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

Just an update. I should have more ducklings by the end of this week!! 35 days will be on Friday. So could be as early as Tuesday but her sister went a little over in December. I think because of the temps.

celebrate.gif
Wow so soon time sure flies by. looking forward to seeing the lil ones..
pop.gif

JW-- got ducklings yet? :)
Quakers -- you're making me feel warm! & it's icy outside here. Hopefully this will all be a distant memory soon.
ML-- I just pm'd u about marking the eggs- before I read your post!
1f603.png
LOL

So today I'm marking on the calendar as Day 1 for Old Lady #1's nest (Since its So Cold & I know she was off yesterday) She is sitting on just 10 this year. Which is perfectly ok by me!
Now this is crazy: my other ducks are incredible. They moved 6 eggs from the 2 outside nests up a ramp, down a 2nd ramp, up and over a 2x12 that lies on its side to retain the straw bedding and into a brand new nest! I will have to get pics, the ducks are incredible! I can't figure out how they did it, but they did! So last night I watched my youngest Pekin take turns with a Rouen sitting on that 2nd nest. Then today there were a total of 10 eggs in that nest too. But no one sitting.

So here is my question for everybody: how do you mark you eggs? Last year I used pencil & a non toxic marker and I numbered them as they were laid. I guess if I'd been smart and thought ahead I could have had the Ladies label them for me by doing the food coloring again. Didn't think of it in time tho. Now however, I think we have plenty of eggs to sit upon, so it's time to stock the fridge.

JW-- got ducklings yet?
smile.png

Quakers -- you're making me feel warm! & it's icy outside here. Hopefully this will all be a distant memory soon.
ML-- I just pm'd u about marking the eggs- before I read your post!
1f603.png
LOL

So today I'm marking on the calendar as Day 1 for Old Lady #1's nest (Since its So Cold & I know she was off yesterday) She is sitting on just 10 this year. Which is perfectly ok by me!
Now this is crazy: my other ducks are incredible. They moved 6 eggs from the 2 outside nests up a ramp, down a 2nd ramp, up and over a 2x12 that lies on its side to retain the straw bedding and into a brand new nest! I will have to get pics, the ducks are incredible! I can't figure out how they did it, but they did! So last night I watched my youngest Pekin take turns with a Rouen sitting on that 2nd nest. Then today there were a total of 10 eggs in that nest too. But no one sitting.

So here is my question for everybody: how do you mark you eggs? Last year I used pencil & a non toxic marker and I numbered them as they were laid. I guess if I'd been smart and thought ahead I could have had the Ladies label them for me by doing the food coloring again. Didn't think of it in time tho. Now however, I think we have plenty of eggs to sit upon, so it's time to stock the fridge.

LOL well, i'd like to say you get used to it but you don't. Um, when i did mark eggs i liked a sharpie it's non toxic but writes well. This time around? there is nothing to do, dusty snowed us, i had been taking all the eggs out of the barn, she hung on tight to these and i have had no access ever since. I know there is 4, beyond that? HA no idea. She isn't new to this though, so i assume she'll toss non starters out like she did before.

Last edited:
No peeps here yet.

I also use a sharpie. I started writing dates but on my current nest, I just started making a mark so I knew about how old eggs were.

My other girl just stopped laying almost a week ago. No idea why. Well, the ducklings had started sleeping in the unoccupied nests so I don't know if that turned her off. Its weird that she just stopped. ???

No peeps here yet.

I also use a sharpie. I started writing dates but on my current nest, I just started making a mark so I knew about how old eggs were.

My other girl just stopped laying almost a week ago. No idea why. Well, the ducklings had started sleeping in the unoccupied nests so I don't know if that turned her off. Its weird that she just stopped. ???
Sometimes mine will take off a week after laying for a while, break time I guess.

I'll update yet again lol My oldest daughter out the duckies in tonight and dusty happened to me off, she rushed over and counted(the boldness of a teen lol) 5 eggs! so there we go. More than last year, should be fun to see how this comes about.

This morning my Old Lady#1 was really hunkered down in her straw... And her friend, Old Lady #2, was sitting near her, keeping her company. Went to go get a pic and shed moved when I returned!

Back
Top Bottom