Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

I'm SO happy for your right now!! Celebrating

wee.gif
hugs.gif
Thank you thank you!!

it's so awesome. Now I know why all you folks out here in BYC land are so over the top in love with your ducks!

i had a rouen duck go broody about a week after my first one did, i went out there and the first one has hatched 9 out of 10 eggs, but my other duck decided to leave her nest and go help out the other duck with her babies, so i took the eggs and put them beside both of them and they pushed the eggs under with there bills, but how will that work? she has to set another 5 days yet?

Ok, question- I managed to candle tonight, and the eggs were really, really full- I could see movement, but the eggs were almost completely dark (for those of you who have hatched chicken eggs, it looked like a chicken egg at about day 18.) What could this mean for the hatch day? My tentative hatch date is still two weeks away.

i had a rouen duck go broody about a week after my first one did, i went out there and the first one has hatched 9 out of 10 eggs, but my other duck decided to leave her nest and go help out the other duck with her babies, so i took the eggs and put them beside both of them and they pushed the eggs under with there bills, but how will that work? she has to set another 5 days yet?
Hard to say if one will stay but most likely one will get up and care for hatchlings and the other will stay put, be sure to put food and water close though just in case both mama decide to stay till next hatch, that way babies can find food and water. keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom