Old furniture turned coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CautiousVenturer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. CautiousVenturer

CautiousVenturer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    I finally ordered some chicks to come this spring and need a smallish coop for 4 hens.

Has anyone tried modifying and weatherproofing furniture into a chicken coop? I'm thinking something like a chest of drawers or dresser? If I can find one for ~$50 and spend about the same on a run, I'll be in good shape...

I don't want to make a huge investment in case someone turns us in and the town makes us rehome them...

Thanks!

2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    get a dog house put it on some cement blocks
    build a wire run around it, easy up easy
    down hope this helps not chicken wire its useless
    add a gate to the run for easy excess.

3. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I used a recycled wall unit (6 feet wide and 8 feet tall) as part of a wall for my run. Next year it will go in our barn as part of a wall for the coop I am planning. You can see it on my page.

4. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Well, Its not exacally $50 its more like $200 but my coop is sturdy, and fairly easy to build and is the perfect size for 4 hens. If you visit my page I have a link to its plans. Please take a look, its a great coop!!!
    [​IMG]

5. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I converted a wardrobe into a bantam coop. It is not sturdy at all. Very flimsy thin wood. I despite painting it and keeping it under a roofed run, I don't expect it to last much longer.
    [​IMG]

I gotta agree with the old dog house conversion. They are built for outdoors.

6. California_Redneck

California_Redneck Out Of The Brooder

A dog house or one of those Little Tykes kids playhouses. They both work well. The playhouse needs more in the way of weatherproofing, but it still works.

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Hope it works for you. I thought about doing the same with a solid oak tv cabinet we own to make a broody hen hutch. Since we don't need the cabinet in the house, I wanted to use it somehow. It's solid oak - no partical board - but even so, I'm not sure it would last long outside. I've decided to make it into a storage cabinet in the spring by adding T111 panels to the outside of it and painting it inside & out with outdoors enamel paints and predator proofing any openings. Hoping that will help it last longer.

Here's my cabinet I'll be converting for storage.
    [​IMG]

However - DO NOT BUY those cheap eBay chicken coops like my little brooder one unless you can keep it indoors and in a secure run - it leaks and will require a great deal of predator proofing to use anywhere outside my secure run. It's made of flimsy materials and honestly I think the oak cabinet will last longer then this mini coop.
    [​IMG]

Your best repurpose buys will be to use playhouses or large doghouses or better yet - grab up some free pallets and make a pallet coop. That's the kind I'll do next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by