Old hen making weird sound!

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Hi, this morning i noticed that one of my old (still laying) hen is making weird sound. At first i though that somehting may be stuck in her throat but coudn't see anything. Idk if those may be gape worms, but for me she sounds either like in pain or having problems breathing. Yesterday the flock was given water with garlic (maybe it could like burn her?). Wanted to check her for egg bound but i have no petrollum jelly and she's been chilling with other chickens and trying to run away ffrom me. She's isolated now. (She had scaly leg mites but i don't think that's the reason. Ah, forgot to mention that she like sound like this even more when holding her. Her eyes are clean-no bubbles/foam. Link to her sound:

Idk if she has bumblefoot cuz one of her toe seems a bit swollen and she has a black thing on it.

Picture of the toe would be helpful.
It sounds like she has stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. It can be from some feed getting stuck sometimes. I also have had some birds do this when they are really hot. So I would keep an eye on her, see if it resolves on it's own. If she really seems to be struggling with the heat then you may need to bring her in to cool off for a bit, or do some other things to help with the heat. Change water out more often to keep it cool, wet the ground in the shade for them, give them shallow pans of cool water they can stand it, etc. I had a 9 year old hen that would struggle on really hot, humid days and I would periodically need to let her cool off in my my spare bathroom on really bad days. Stridor was usually the first indication she was having trouble. Sometimes it was only that.

Picture of the toe would be helpful.
It sounds like she has stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. It can be from some feed getting stuck sometimes. I also have had some birds do this when they are really hot. So I would keep an eye on her, see if it resolves on it's own. If she really seems to be struggling with the heat then you may need to bring her in to cool off for a bit, or do some other things to help with the heat. Change water out more often to keep it cool, wet the ground in the shade for them, give them shallow pans of cool water they can stand it, etc. I had a 9 year old hen that would struggle on really hot, humid days and I would periodically need to let her cool off in my my spare bathroom on really bad days. Stridor was usually the first indication she was having trouble. Sometimes it was only that.
The sound stopped some hours ago but she is breathing with her mouth open. She's the fattest one in my flock i think so she has some hard time during this hot summer. As i examinated her, i don't think it was bumblefoot. She had 2 of those black points and i took one off (uh) and it seemed like its just dead skin (you know, thing that humans get on foots when they walk a lot with bare foots, or on hands when they work a lot, got a point?). But i flush the "wound" with saline and put gauze pad on it and bandaged it. She's now isolated so the other hens won't peck the bandage but the problem is it's pretty warm in the cage. She's got cold water and i'll think about giving her some cold snacks. Should i worry btw?

Forgot to mention that the toe wasn't swollen a lot, just the base was thicker like from walking a lot and maybe her age?

I have had a couple of hens who had stridor (the noise she is making) for a few hours, due to getting a piece of feed stuck in the thoat. Some will make that sound along with an occasional sneeze when they have a respiratory disease from mucus and congestion.

I would probably let her out if she is getting overheated in her cage. Make sure that she is taking plenty of water.

I have had a couple of hens who had stridor (the noise she is making) for a few hours, due to getting a piece of feed stuck in the thoat. Some will make that sound along with an occasional sneeze when they have a respiratory disease from mucus and congestion.

I would probably let her out if she is getting overheated in her cage. Make sure that she is taking plenty of water.
Yeah, she's out now. No sound fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom