Old hen with a lot of problems

Swimming is also an excellent way to exercise without being too hard on joints. You can put her in a slightly too deep tub and hold her while she moves her legs or maybe she will even swim on her own (I've heard of chickens who'd swim; I had a bantam who would!).
Oh boy...no swimming at my house it was 5 degrees this morning and warmed up to a lovey 28! I’d have chickensickles :eek:

I know all about chronic bumblefoot so I feel ya on that one. It took nearly a year for it to clear up, but only with daily antibiotics, anti-inflammatory meds, twice daily cleanings and finally, had to have the vet lance and drain it.

It's really important to keep the bumblefoot drained, dried, cleaned and treated daily with topical medicines. It's a pain in the ass, but it is a staph infection so you have to be diligent in keeping it clean.

Regarding the mites, can you identify which mites they are? Red ones live in the coop and feed on the bird at night. If they're black and look like specks of dust, they live their life cycle on the bird. But it sounds like they live on the poor girl. In that case, I'd treat topically with Frontline spray. Treat her once every four days for four weeks and if you can spray down the coop. Is she housed with any other birds?

Good reference site for health issues:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/

I know all about chronic bumblefoot so I feel ya on that one. It took nearly a year for it to clear up, but only with daily antibiotics, anti-inflammatory meds, twice daily cleanings and finally, had to have the vet lance and drain it.

It's really important to keep the bumblefoot drained, dried, cleaned and treated daily with topical medicines. It's a pain in the ass, but it is a staph infection so you have to be diligent in keeping it clean.

Regarding the mites, can you identify which mites they are? Red ones live in the coop and feed on the bird at night. If they're black and look like specks of dust, they live their life cycle on the bird. But it sounds like they live on the poor girl. In that case, I'd treat topically with Frontline spray. Treat her once every four days for four weeks and if you can spray down the coop. Is she housed with any other birds?

Good reference site for health issues:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/
Can you detail the meds and doses you used?
The mites are tiny black dots. They are a literal mass 2-3 inches deep all on her vent, fluff and underbelly. :sick
They almost killed her once. Sprayed her asap with dish soap, oil, and water that time and she was fine the next day.

Hey Abriana~just noticed your now a “spicy” sugar cookie hum...new haircut? New outfit? Or....New Boyfriend???? Hummm :D
:pop Hum? Come on you can say...after all it’s just us.
No pressure :lau
:gig ahaha! Nope, don't have a boyfriend yet XD I was just Sugar Cookie, but some stuff happened, and I though I wasn't as Sugar Cookiesh as before, and so someone told me that I just had a little more spice to me now. LOL you're funny :lol:

I'll detail the meds tonight, but they were all by prescription and quite expensive. How bad is her bumblefoot? Can you send photos?

Regarding the mites, those are Northern Fowl. They can get out of control really fast. You have to kill the adults, the juveniles and the eggs, otherwise, you'll just keep finding them. they'll just keep coming back. Frontline really is the best product for getting rid of the creepy crawlies fast. Trim her feathers and spray it on and rub it in, but don't soak her with the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom