Old hen/ young hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vugaris, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Vugaris

Vugaris Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    I have read that hens usually only lay until they are around 3 years of age and then they stop. Is this true, and is there a way to tell how old a hen is (without knowing her background)?

Thank you
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They don't stop laying. They slow down as they age. After about 2-3 years old. Some people lucky enough to have chicken for 10-15 years have said they still get an occasional egg.
    I don't have any idea how to tell their age. Maybe some one else can answer that.

3. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm also interested in knowing if you can tell the age of a hen. We purchased 3 supposed juvenile self blue d'uccles that still haven't laid, they were supposedly from this spring's hatch. So either they just haven't laid yet, or they are older and slowing down. [​IMG]
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Last year I bought spring hatch pullets in June. They didn't start laying till December.

5. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    wondering the same thing. I just bought some australorps that are supposedly six months old but not sure. Had them for 3 weeks and still no eggs. Is it possible to tell their age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by