Old Hen

hprc2002

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2021
New Zealand
I have an 13 year old Ginger Nut Ranger in my free range flock. She is huge (circle of 30 cm when she sits on the floor or sitting on eggs). She has raised numerous chicks and still look after pullets when introduced in the flock. She still lay occasionally. What is the oldest chicken you ever had? She seems to now have a bit of arthritis, and was wondering if there is a way of giving her some pain killer like paracetamol. Any idea or suggestion?

thanks

H.

Welcome To BYC

Photos of the Old Sweetheart are always welcome.

I would not give Paracetamol (Acetaminophen). If she's having a lot of difficulty moving about, then speak with your vet about long term pain management. Metacam which requires a script may be your best course of treatment.
Very Short Term (3 days or less) you can give 1/2 of a low dose Aspirin twice a day.

Welcome To BYC

Photos of the Old Sweetheart are always welcome.

I would not give Paracetamol (Acetaminophen). If she's having a lot of difficulty moving about, then speak with your vet about long term pain management. Metacam which requires a script may be your best course of treatment.
Very Short Term (3 days or less) you can give 1/2 of a low dose Aspirin twice a day.
Not at her best; molting at the moment.

Attachments

• 20220425_160356.jpg
    20220425_160356.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220425_160411.jpg
    20220425_160411.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220425_160413.jpg
    20220425_160413.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 6
Recently she has started to shake her head side fast to side several times per minute. Any idea what could cause this?
Thanks

Recently she has started to shake her head side fast to side several times per minute. Any idea what could cause this?
Thanks
Is it random or do you note this when she's been eating/drinking? If so, maybe she's adjusting her crop.
I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and look her over for lice/mites, be sure to look inside her ears too.

Is it random or do you note this when she's been eating/drinking? If so, maybe she's adjusting her crop.
I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and look her over for lice/mites, be sure to look inside her ears too.
it is random and frequent. t does not seem to be linked to eating/drinking. The crop is emptying overnight
I will check for lice and mite today.

Sadly, she has died suddenly 2 weeks ago, at the grand age of 14. A sudden spasm, a flap of wings and it was over.
Hard for my daughter who had her as a pet from age 3 1/2, but she is getting over it.

Indeed, at 14 yrs of age, a long life and Oh My! She had a little girl to love her too! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom