Old horse stall into a chicken coop

woah, big coop, and a LOT of chickens. are they all for eggs??
that coop looks GREAT!!!
just be sure to put plenty of bedding just not cedar shavings. I use pine shavings from TSC

After you win the coop contest, start another thread that breaks down materials, cost, time, skill.
Most people looking for advice on building coops need that kind of information to show them how easy it can be .
Adding that to the article will win you bonus points when it comes time for the judging of the contest.

Deep little method is wonderful in our weather....just saying.
I am not a fan of shavings.

Welcome to BYC!

Sweet build!
Reminds me of @henless coop in TX.

One suggestion.
Higher fronts(4-6") and perches(8" out in front) on nests.

Not sure if you are aware of the roost being higher(12") than nests or they may sleep(and poop) in nests.

Hinged perches that fold up to block nests might be a good design application here.

After you win the coop contest, start another thread that breaks down materials, cost, time, skill.
Most people looking for advice on building coops need that kind of information to show them how easy it can be .

I could list materials and tools I used, but reality is I hope no one repeats the actual build. When the barn was built nothing was square. I just did the best with what I had.

As far as skill, to me there is none. As long as you can read a ruler and press a button on an impact driver and a saw, anyone can build anything out of wood.

Welcome to BYC!

Sweet build!
Reminds me of @henless coop in TX.

One suggestion.
Higher fronts(4-6") and perches(8" out in front) on nests.

Not sure if you are aware of the roost being higher(12") than nests or they may sleep(and poop) in nests.

Hinged perches that fold up to block nests might be a good design application here.

Thanks for the tips. I put all the hens and pullets in two days ago and so far they are all roosting and just using the nest boxes as best boxes. Some experimenting on my part for sure

Back
Top Bottom