Old Outhouse Design & Trees

Dornes

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
South Western WI
I am new to chickens, plan to get my coop raised this week possibly... I don't have chickens yet and won't bring any home until they have a place to call their own. But... a couple questions that I do have and would love to know some answers to
smile.png

I found an old "shed" outhouse looking thing on Craigslist that I think would be perfect for what I am looking at in size for 6 layers. Attaching nesting boxes would be super easy. I want a walk in coop.
big_smile.png
As far as ventilation, I will be making some adjustments there and I think it would work out perfectly. Anyone have experiance converting an old "outhouse shed" into a coop? I mean, the current CL listing says they used it for a garden shed, so it surely wasn't a crapper. lol

My second question. I have read quite a few posts on here and in other areas, and have seen where you all put your coops up. Summers here in Wisconsin get quite hot and very very humid so I want to provide my girls with as much shade as possible when they are allowed out of the coop into the fenced in area. I have a really nice spot in my yard that is a willow tree and old small maple tree that will provide shade. I will surely be putting a top on the fenced in portion to keep preditors out, but have read about trees falling down and such... would you be more concerned about trees falling or your ladies getting too hot? The shaded area is perfect in my opinion. Because during winter it doesn't get too much snow accumulation under there either!

Thanks all!

They will be soooo glad if you choose the shaded area. Even in Wisconsin, heat is at least as much of a challenge for a chicken as cold. (I grew up near Chicago.)

I think the outhouse / shed / whatever is a great find. Wouldn't be a problem even if it was a crapper long ago, I wouldn't think. People convert different kinds of sheds to chicken coops all the time. There really isn't that much difference - it's a lot easier, and often cheaper, to make a few modifications than start from scratch.

Congrats on getting the horse before the cart! and enjoy your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom