Old quilt repair question

mamawolf544

Unbreakable Heart
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
alvarado, Tx
My DH just rcvd' his Great Grandmother's handmade quilt. It is 100+ years old.
It has a few places that need repaired. Can anyone lead me to a direction to find someone to repair it?
I live in the DFW area of Texas.
Thanks
caf.gif

I would find a local quilt store and talk to them about it, they are very delicate. I restored one a couple of years ago and was scared the whole time I had it. Good luck and post pictures of it.

Yes, please post photos of the areas needed repair...we can give better advice if we know what needs repairs.

What kind of batting is inside...sometimes the old quilts were sandwiched with flannel or carded cotton fibers. Some even had no batting.

Cottons from that era are very difficult to find..feed sacking, bolt goods. There are many reproduction fabrics out there but they will not have the look or "feel" of those older fabrics.

Depending on the type of damage, sometimes it is better to stabilize/conserve the area rather than repair. If newer fabrics are used, the quilt is dated by those repair fabrics rather than the original fabrics.

Making repairs to the stitching needs to be done with cotton thread in a color similiar to the original. Some of the older quilts were quilted using the "string" used to sew the feed and sugar sacks. It is the same size as cotton crochet thread.

Back
Top Bottom