Older eggs lagging behind in development

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
I had a question on incubation here. I have never set very old eggs to incubate before. But due to the circumstances and in hoping they might be from our top hen who passed away. I started incubating 2 eggs that are (3 week old eggs/I believe from the counter /we were away !) and 2 fresh eggs. polish mix from my seniors

The first few days (day 3 I saw veins in the two fresh eggs and nothing in the older eggs). Day 5 I saw veins in the old eggs and much more on the fresh eggs. At this point , I’m thinking the old ones are going to fade away, because it was significantly less veins from the fresh eggs.

a week later , I’m checking all four eggs and movement ! But the two fresher eggs look more advance in development and are dancing around. The older eggs have movement , but are still behind.

2 weeks in! All four are developing ! But again the two older eggs look behind in size and color. Yet they are moving! The two fresh eggs look great!

I hope that was detailed :) I only decided to incubate the old eggs, because we are hoping they “may” be from our hen who passed at 7years. If not they are from her sister (same age).

should I continue with all in the incubator? Should I split the incubation and give two to my broody Orpington?

I really am mixed about more chicks! I was not planning on having more, but really hoping they might be Marshall’s! My sons favorite hen. He was a wreck watching her go..to chicken heaven.

I had a question on incubation here. I have never set very old eggs to incubate before. But due to the circumstances and in hoping they might be from our top hen who passed away. I started incubating 2 eggs that are (3 week old eggs/I believe from the counter /we were away !) and 2 fresh eggs. polish mix from my seniors

The first few days (day 3 I saw veins in the two fresh eggs and nothing in the older eggs). Day 5 I saw veins in the old eggs and much more on the fresh eggs. At this point , I’m thinking the old ones are going to fade away, because it was significantly less veins from the fresh eggs.

a week later , I’m checking all four eggs and movement ! But the two fresher eggs look more advance in development and are dancing around. The older eggs have movement , but are still behind.

2 weeks in! All four are developing ! But again the two older eggs look behind in size and color. Yet they are moving! The two fresh eggs look great!

I hope that was detailed :) I only decided to incubate the old eggs, because we are hoping they “may” be from our hen who passed at 7years. If not they are from her sister (same age).

should I continue with all in the incubator? Should I split the incubation and give two to my broody Orpington?

I really am mixed about more chicks! I was not planning on having more, but really hoping they might be Marshall’s! My sons favorite hen. He was a wreck watching her go..to chicken heaven.
I never had 3 week old eggs lag behind fresh eggs when incubated.

Were they counter top unwashed eggs, or Washed Refrigerated eggs? I usually hatch washed Refrigerated eggs without issues.

Also, are you using separate calibrated thermometers, & Hygrometers in different areas of your incubator to monitor conditions?

I never had 3 week old eggs lag behind fresh eggs when incubated.

Were they counter top unwashed eggs, or Washed Refrigerated eggs? I usually hatch washed Refrigerated eggs without issues.
They were from the counter unwashed. I just have one thermometer in there. It’s a brinsea tiny incubator. Two eggs on one side and two on the opposite end. One on each side (opposite ,but not next to each other ) has one properly developing and one slower developing. Hopefully if they hatch they are healthy.

They were from the counter unwashed. I just have one thermometer in there. It’s a brinsea tiny incubator. Two eggs on one side and two on the opposite end. One on each side (opposite ,but not next to each other ) has one properly developing and one slower developing. Hopefully if they hatch they are healthy.
I never tried 3 week old counter top unwashed eggs.

Are you using separate calibrated thermometers, & hygrometers to monitor conditions inside the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom