Older flock and younger female

That wld be my concern. I'm leary to even have mine out today bc we had an unexpected this a.m. - and I said it was boring here! Definitely not normal.
View attachment 2437926
I am concerned myself about the hazards of roosting in trees. I am also concerned she will wander away from the flock and no one will pay attention, then she’ll get lost. So I am taking it slow. Today she went out twice with the flock and did a little tour of the area around her living quarters. I’m hoping it gives her confidence and she becomes oriented to her surroundings. If it were spring, I think I would worry about attachments less.

I am concerned myself about the hazards of roosting in trees. I am also concerned she will wander away from the flock and no one will pay attention, then she’ll get lost. So I am taking it slow. Today she went out twice with the flock and did a little tour of the area around her living quarters. I’m hoping it gives her confidence and she becomes oriented to her surroundings. If it were spring, I think I would worry about attachments less.
Sounds like a good plan. She's a month older than mine; they don't yet get ontop of anything higher than a garbage container, they stare in wonder when the big kids roost on the roof, & totally freak out when they fly over the house, leaving them out front alone.- .....do ya'll think I've spent too much time observing their behavior during the pandemic?! :lau

Sounds like a good plan. She's a month older than mine; they don't yet get ontop of anything higher than a garbage container, they stare in wonder when the big kids roost on the roof, & totally freak out when they fly over the house, leaving them out front alone.- .....do ya'll think I've spent too much time observing their behavior during the pandemic?! :lau
I think you are spending exactly the right amount of time observing behavior! Lord knows I’m spending an inordinate amount of time myself. As for flying onto things, this girl’s brothers and sisters (live elsewhere because they persecuted her) flew up onto the roof of the house and then into a privet where they hollered and hollered until they screwed up the courage to fly into a nearby redbud tree where again they hollered and hollered. As it was getting dark they flew pell-mell to the ground. They didn’t at all get that what goes up must come down. They ran like crazy into their abode. It was entertaining to say the least! I have observed that they can control their upward flight pretty well. Their downward flight, not so much.

I had to go back a yr & do the math, bc you reminded me- last yr., when the now "big kids" were just shy of 5 months, we had to take the gran in to meet his new siblings. It turned into a longer trip than planned, it was dark when we got back, & they were out. I rushed to the back, & there they were, lined up on the overhang at the backdoor, refusing to come down. They paced, they squawked,raced from one end to the other, & finally 1 by 1 they kind of flopped to the ground & hightailed it to their coop, lecturing me as they went.

Back
Top Bottom