Older Hen Is Looking Odd

Thank you so much!
I'm glad that it's probably not life-threatening.
The symptoms are grayish face, bloody comb, and looks a little hunched (but that might have been my imagination). Also, she's staying in the coop a lot, but it might be because she loves sitting on everybody's eggs.

Yay! :)! I'm going to keep an eye on her, though. If she needs help, she'll get it (my dad will let me take her to a vet, I believe, after a bad experience with a duck. The duck is okay, but seriously upset) immediately. Thanks!

Thank you so much!
The symptoms are grayish face, bloody comb, and looks a little hunched (but that might have been my imagination). Also, she's staying in the coop a lot, but it might be because she loves sitting on everybody's eggs.
To me this sounds like an old constantly broody hen that is getting bullied by her flockmates. And because of her constant broodiness she will become malnourished and weak.

Here is what I would do:

• Separate her in her own space or wire dog crate.
  • Serve a nice bowel of scrambled eggs with oatmeal, grated carrots and dewormer.
  • Add some poultry vitamins to her water for 3 consecutive days. Prepare fresh every day.
  • Clean her head carefully to remove the crusted blood, inspect the damage and disinfect.
  • Inspect her whole body for further injuries and disinfect if necessary.
  • Check her for mites or lice, mostly around the vent area, between the legs and under the wings. Treat her accordingly if parasites are found.

After a week of special care she should be strong enough to rejoin her flock and the broodiness broken.

Thank you so much!
Aahh ok, so this is the hen you're hoping will go broody. Don't let her. It will not be good for her. I would probably give her some wet mash a fee times a day to get her to eat some more (and it will also provide water to help her not get dehydrated) and just watch to make sure no others are picking on her.

Okay. Thank you. I agree that the injury was probably a fight with a hen who wanted to lay, so I will give her wet mash. Is there any at the feed stores, or should I make it myself?

Okay. Thank you.
She's free-ranging in the pasture. We got the eggs while she's out. I think that will help as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom