Older hen not well..thinking Internal Laying/EYP..also not clearing crop

Azygous and others may have suggestions, but I believe baytril will work. It is off-label use in birds, but I know it is used. I use plain greek yogurt when I need the acidolphilis. I also know some companies claim that there are pro-biotics with specific strains for chickens. You might be able to find one at the local feed store, but if you don't have access, plain greek yogurt is fine, if not greek, then plain regular.

If you have experience and feel confident to empty the crop without her aspirating, it might help her feel better and then you have a clean slate to get the antibiotic and yeast medicine administered. But again, I would attempt only if you are comfortable doing so.
what about giving her Baytril and Miconazole at the same time? Any issues with that, or should I just stick to the Baytril for now...just to see how things go? I know you aren't supposed to give them Baytril on an empty stomach..but......kind of in a bind here.

I've never used Baytril because I can't find anywhere to get it without a prescription. I imagine it's similar to most antibiotics that it kills off the good gut microbes. And those are the ones you need to help conquer a yeast infection in the digestive system. So that's why I suggest a probiotic with the miconazole and antibiotic.

A detail such as giving it on an empty stomach, you need to follow the drug manufacturer's directions on that.

Well, last night I dosed her with Baytril, and gave her a 1/4” dab of miconazole. I also mixed up water with probiotics, and gave her that which she did drink.

She is still with us this morning, but seems to be very weak. Her crop seems to be the same size as yesterday. No droppings seen at all from overnight. I’m not sure what to do.

All you can do is continue her treatment and hope the antibiotic and miconazole will start to make a difference soon. If she hasn't shown improvement by Thursday, she probably isn't going to.

Well, last night I dosed her with Baytril, and gave her a 1/4” dab of miconazole. I also mixed up water with probiotics, and gave her that which she did drink.

She is still with us this morning, but seems to be very weak. Her crop seems to be the same size as yesterday. No droppings seen at all from overnight. I’m not sure what to do.
Sounds like you are doing what you can. It's unknown what has caused the crop to stop working, but if not the other issues, it could be an obstruction. Unfortunately without further analysis you can't tell where it is, if it is obstruction. The best case would be in the crop. I know there are resources out there for emptying the crop and then massaging it after giving olive oil. If x-rays are not an option, you may wish to try the crop massage. Perhaps other's on this site would have the links for that and know how often it's successful or not.

It makes sense to keep up the other treatment as you have for a bit.

Did you notice any droppings today? If some is moving through, you can try the plain yogurt, as that will likely have more nutrients than the probiotics powder.

Nothing from last night until now...her bedding is completely dry
You can try the things listed, continue with the meds and hope for the best.

You can always call a farm vet if you wish, and check on costs of an xray and a brief visit. There are many great resources on this site, but sadly we just can't see into the hen to know exactly what's happened, we can only use our best educated guesses and experience. A basic diagnostic might give you the info you need.

For instance, I never in a million years would have thought my hen had eaten a binder clip. A binder clip...really???

Last edited:
It is 60 degrees outside today, so I let her out of her hospital cage in the coop, so she can enjoy some of her day with the other hens. She seems to be happier out in the run, despite feeling miserable. She is just sitting, with the others hanging out around her. The bedding in her cage is completely dry..so she isn't processing anything at all.

It is 60 degrees outside today, so I let her out of her hospital cage in the coop, so she can enjoy some of her day with the other hens. She seems to be happier out in the run, despite feeling miserable. She is just sitting, with the others hanging out around her. The bedding in her cage is completely dry..so she isn't processing anything at all.
Glad she was able to enjoy some time outside with her flockmates

Back
Top Bottom