Older pullet and younger roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spook, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Older pullet and younger roo

I love those May-September romance stories!! [​IMG]

2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Mrs. C did get over her mad. Later in the day I went outside and she came running up to me as if nothing had happened, looking for a treat. Going outside and cooling off was good for her. It took her mind off the competition. It was a much friendlier atmosphere among the fowl after that. The new serama pair had a little "lovefest" that got Mrs. C wound up but again, she got over it!

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Brought back a new pullet, from the New Ulm show for the Seramas. She is from the same flock as the other two. I have named her Sparkle, the cockerel Curly and the other pullet Naughty Snow White. (There is another post explaining why if you read it you'll understand). Sparkle, knocked the snot out of bossy Mrs. C so we have a new Sherriff in town! It is about time...

4. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    LOL, glad to know I'm not the only one giving the "kids" names! hee hee.
    I also picked up 2 girls from a friend, I took Scooter with me, when I put the first new girl in, he immediately attacked her, made mad passionate wooopie and fell in love. The 2nd girl he just ran over to her and found some food to cluck over!
    So, Scooter, Lucy-Lu and Kathleen are happy with each other and when I put Penny in with them, she began by beating them up. Each day I try to get them time together, the first day she was fine in their hutch, when she would enter the coop- the littler 3 would hide and huddle. When it came night time...she made sure she got out of the hutch, walked around the corner and crawled into the big girls coop and up to her appt! She wanted to go "home"! I am begining to notice her happy to see them, then chases them around and gets bored. So that is good news.

BTW- I am not concerned with the birds as Scooter came from the same group, so it was like ole home days! lol.
    Thanks Mr.andMrs.Chicken!

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    So, last night I went out to put jammies on the chickens and Sparkle, Mrs. C and, Curly were all up in the rafters together looking down at me. Mrs C., was of course a few inches away from the other two. All is well. Mrs. C wants so much to be a good chicken friend now, it's almost sad that she is for the moment on the fringe of society. Tonight a heat lamp to warm their little hearts and bones. It may get to 25 degrees. Naughty Snow White did lay another egg yesterday. Her days are becoming shorter between lays, well, it depends on what you mean by that... She is looking better each day, not being around Curly. She is starting to look "pure" again...

6. newchicks

newchicks Songster

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Hello mrandmrschicken from NW IA. Glad to hear everyone is getting along better. Your story had me in stitches. Say hello to IA. for us, we lived in Sioux City for 11 yrs. and Storm Lake for 3 yrs. Beautiful area, but colder than KS. Good luck with your chickens. Mrs. C sounds like a character. We've just become new chicken owners after loosing our horse...LOVE EM!!![​IMG]

7. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Glad to hear you enjoy the chicken ramblings.
    Myself the fam and the chickens live in the Okoboji area, (which is where I was born and raised). My Mother moved back to Cherokee, a few years ago which is where all her brothers and sisters live now. My Grandad was custodian of the park there for many years. If you were ever at the park there. They lived in the stone house that is now a shelter house.
    Some of my earliest memories are of waking up to the sounds of the peacocks, swans, geese, guineas and golden pheasants they had then. You never forget the "HERAAALP" sound of the peacocks once you've heard it. That sound is tough to spell! There was always a bag of cracked corn in the shop and almost every day that I was there, I would ride with my grandad to the nearby grocery store to pick up a box of wilted lettuce to feed them. More than one or a dozen times I got bit, pinched, hissed at or other wise ran off by those birds that were bigger than I was. I still recall them flapping their wings and almost knocking me over! The black swans were especially unfriendly!
    Things are different there now. I suppose not enough money in the budget to keep the place up like it used to be. The condition of the few caged birds they have is sad. Everything seems run down and dirty now. It is hard to explain how it used to be to my boys, when I take them there.
    The birds here have enjoyed the heat lamp this morning. Mrs. C still on the fringe but only a foot away. Sparkle gives her that look and Mrs. C makes sure she is not too close. I left Curly in his cage yesterday and Sparkle out thinking that maybe Mrs. C would show her around outside but, no dice. Sparkle does not want any of Curlys "affection" but at the same time does not want to be far away from him or Naughty Snow White. Go figure...

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sure post some pics [​IMG]

9. newchicks

newchicks Songster

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    :lol:Boy I know what you mean about those black swans, I've been chased by them before too. I wonder why they are so aggressive, I've heard that about them from other people. I envy your living at Okabojji, great place and beautiful area. My dh and I have always wanted to live on a lake. Sorry to hear that so much has changed around there, and that you have to describe to your kids what it was like. But such wonderful memories you have about feeding the birds and your time with your grandfather.
    Post some pictures of your chickens, it would be fun to put feathered faces with the names. I personally don't know how to do that yet, but maybe you do. We have 2 girls names Foghorn and Leghorn, my dd named them that. I call them Dirty Face and Sweet Girl, that's a little more descriptive of their personalities.
    Nice talking to an Iowan!!![​IMG]

10. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    I'm so glad that its a happy post here! [​IMG] I do love to read other peoples chicken antics, makes me feel less alone.

I am unable to place Penny in with Scooter, even after he gained 2 ladies after Chickenstock in W.Gardiner, Me. I tell ya, I took him with me so he could let me know if he was going to like him or not. I was NOT going to have another battle going on after I got home.

Scooter, Lucy and Kathleen (Lucy hit me when I first touched her and Kathleen is after Kathleen Turner with that deep wiskey voice) they get along beautifully, after learning what to walk away from and let them figure it out...Penny took on all 3 of them and sat proudly on the perch in the hutch playroom.
    Each time she would hop off the perch, waddle her poofy butt in to get food and water, the 3 others would huddle in the corner- danged Scooter was in the deepest with the GIRLs butts sticking out. When it got dark, Penny wanted out so badly and went back to her "perch".

So no luck there. I've tried to let them play in the big pen with all the chickens, I stand guard as the big girls want to teach them a thing or to...dang pecking order. That Penny will hop to the nest box and fly clear out to the fence, stomp (I swear) over to the running petrified birds, chase them until I can ward her off with a little branch (not for hitting- maybe...ah, no no, ) to detor her body from direct attacks.

As for black swans, I have never seen one in my life. I actually saw a real white swan in a pond near us. I couldn't be live it, it was traveling along with canadian geese. I wish I knew that story.
    Well, we are still hoping that the ole girl Penny will mellow out with age, or she will be cramped all winter in a small apartment- another story! ha ha .

You guys take care!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: