Older pullet and younger roo

A white swan with Canadians...I can't figure that one out, unless she got left behind and caught a ride with the geese???
idunno.gif
I bet that was a funny sight.
I love hearing all your stories, it's pretty boring here, as my 2 girls get along, share their nest and don't have a reason for a pecking order. Though they did have to set our 13 yr. old cat straight. He was a stray that just showed up 11 years ago, and he draws blood on every 4 legged critter that comes here. And I absolutely can't and won't have another cat, he is so territorial. But the hens showed up and he was already to set them straight as to who runs this place and the girls went straight for him:lau. Tom the cat flopped on the ground and totally gave to them. It was a first and we LOL!!!!! Big time!!!He has taken on everything from a greyhound, and wiemeroner (sp?) puppies and full grown dogs, makes no difference to him...it's attack. But the hens set his little cat b--- straight, and they get along beautifully, and they get along with our black lab, Jill. The 4 of them roam the 8 acres, all fenced, together every day. Actually the dog waits for them to poo...great!!
smile.png

The park has a lake. The geese would stay as long as they were fed and the swans would be there for three seasons then go somewhere for the winter.
You mentioned your cat... Before Mr. C went to live on the edge of town, he and Mrs. C would meet up with the nieighbors tom, "Rodman". As I wrote earlier, I do not think Rodman was named after the basketball player. He was quite a rounder. Mr. and Mrs. C were the only two creatures he is afraid of! Glad all your animals have a symbiotic realtionship! That would be fun to watch. Feeding off each other so to speak!
Yesterday, befor I went to work, I went to the garage to round up the little ones to put back in their pen and discovered they had discovered a small acorn squash somone had given me. They were up to their little peckers in it so I let them have at it for awhile before penning them back up. I did take a couple of stills of it though.
The two month old cockerels are starting to establish their pecking order, or show their cockiness. It might be time to separate them into smaller groups. All 10 of the two month olds are getting so big, I sure hope they are bantams! If they are not, I'm in a world of hurt! In the garage with them is my 1948 Packard (that I want to sell) and I will have to put the chickens inside the car!!! Making it a "coop de Ville"! Sorry but I couldn't resist that one.......

Speaking of coup-deville, some where on the coop forum, there is photo's where someone made a coop out of the back end of a vehicle- older one noless. It is really cool too.
I would not recommend keeping chicks with a antique car tho. The dust they have from growing feathers to mash, it could scratch the paint when you go to wipe it. Just keep that in mind, if it gets damp, it will 'heal' to the paint. Cover that car if its not already- good luck on selling it. Do you belong to a club ? My bro is in the Lions Club, has antique chainsaws, engines and stuff. Its amazing what he can tinker on.

Spook;
I did not know that about the dust, thanks! The car needs a new set of points to make it run again. I haven't had it on the road since late May. I am not a mechanic, I bleed when I look at a wrench! It did have a new wax job when I last had it out. I usually park it outside on a rainy day to let the rain wash off all the dust. I might have to push it out if we get some rain here.
How far are you from Portland? I have a sister and brother inlaw that live in Portland. I 've been there twice since they were married in 1994. Really a neat place. Oddly enough, both times I never saw the ocean! My wife goes back every year for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and my sister in law usually comes back here once a year. We seem to trade lobster for pork chops (Iowa chops)...

I live about an hour above Portland up here in the foothills and ski areas like Mt. Abram and Sunday River. If you was to look at a map, I'll be right in the vicinity of NH and just about on the line for the White Mt. National forest where its in Maine.
Sorta neutral at this place, 1 hour from the airports, 1 hour from Berlin, NH, 1 hour can take us most anywhere and find such interesting things.
Next time you get into Portland go and wander around at some of the cemetery's- you will be shocked at the dates. The Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse in So.Portland is the most photographed light house - not sure if its the world or USA.
That was a military base up til a few years after WW11. Oh I can talk about that place, its such a nice place to visit, the mansion that was gutted by fire still stands. Its neat to imagine it all, as if it was a working place.
That is something that most folks don't realize, we- Maine had several POW camps, the Japanese actually tried to land here at the presidents "camp" at Kennebunkport Maine!
I honestly think we were jipped in school by not hearing more about the events that took place, and then not many know about it.
Well, now, aren't glad you talked to me!
lau.gif

oh, and PS- Lobsters are going for 3.99 a lb! That is all cooked too. Unreal! Its sad because at restraunts they charge $14 cooked. The lobster men are starving- they can't afford to go out and fish.

mrandmrschicken, Good luck with converting the car if you need to,hopefully you won't seeing as how it still runs. Good luck selling it too. I'll put the word out around here, but we really don't know too many people here. I'm heading back to the IA way next week. My elderly parents need a daughter fix, so off I go. They and my brother live in Marshalltown, that's where my dh and I grew up. My 2 girls followed me around the yard while I mowed today, they dart here and there and everywhere. They seem to think that every blade of grass that blows is a potential bug to eat. So I have to be very careful, it would be so disturbing if I mowed or hit one of them. When I was done I gave them some yogart and I love watching them eat it, they get it all over their beaks and then have to wipe them off in the grass. Tell the IA weather to behave next week while I'm making my 5 hour drive.
D.gif

Spook, Just wanted to tell you that here in KS we can pay up to $24.95 for a lobster cooked and it isn't always that good. Why are the lobster men not able to fish for them? Is it the cost of fuel?
idunno.gif

Spook;
Thanks for the history lesson on Maine. I always thought there was something strange going on at Kennebunkport! The only thing exciting about this areas history was the Spirit Lake Massacre. You can look it up on the net if you wish.
And Newchicks, thanks for the price of lobster in this part of the country for Spook I was going to put in something similar.
No, I could not use the Packard for a coop. Not even for tiny little Naughty Snow White. She is smaller than my 2 month old banatm chicks and has laid 4 or 5 eggs so far. She is so tiny, she sits neatly in the palm of my hand with her little tiny legs dangling between my fingers. She always tilts her head to one side and looks right at me when I talk to her like she understands everything I am saying to her and could almost nod in agreement. She could quite literally fit in my coat pocket! Oops, I said a dirty word, "coat"! Yes, folks, it was 37 and foggy when I got up at 3:00 am. I have been suffering from a couple of weeks of insomnia, maybe its the weather.
Next weekend, there is a poultry show in Hutchinson, MN. It is straight West of the Twin Cities a few miles and 3 hours North of us. Don't know the details yet but should know later today. It may be my last chance, before it gets cold, to trade or sell my little chicks for the winter.
Something I experienced on Wednesday, caught me as strange but maybe its normal, you all might know this? Before leaving for work, I put the two month olds back in their pen, after I discovered they ate the squash, and checked Naughty's food and water, thought she looked funny in the back corner of her pen so I waited a moment and yes, she had laid an egg and it was still warm. After gathering up the egg, taking inside and dating it, marking it, etc, went back to the garage where this huge racket was coming from and it was little Naughty, bawk bawk bawking very,VERY loudly. I had to close the garage doors and calm her down! Thought the neighbors would think I was chasing her around with a hatchet! From such a tiny little girl, such a huge noise! Is it normal after laying for them to make a big noise? None of us have heard her make that sound before. Any answers?

Quote:
The reason for the cost issues is partly Canadian fishing (not a totally bad thing here, I do not want to say its all them) but Lobster prices are low, cost of fuel is up and cost of living. So when they sell or to auction the items they have, fish and lobster, its unfortunate that the lobster men give their catch away and the middle man makes money.

Another thing that is unfortunate and it happens everywhere. The Martha Stewarts of the world all have a place on the Maine coast. When this happens, the taxes and cost of living goes up, the common fisherman is burried under then "yuppies", there is no way to own the family house ocean side when your neighbor is appauld to your boat docked, traps scattered around or piled high for the long weekend.
All states are feeling this crunch, everyone wants the prime spots and its usually attractive because its quaint and quiet...until everyone begins to move in.
(Ok stepping off my lobster trap- lol, I do not live on the coast but fisherman are a rough private bunch of people. I have a friend that lives in a village near Pimaquid Point and life would be better if they sold their house and drove to the docks)

Back
Top Bottom