Older pullet and younger roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spook, Oct 7, 2008.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Spook and Newchicks;

Think I've finally figured it out how to send pics, thanks to calmness and another BYCer. I'll give it a whirl, hope you enjoy[​IMG]
    Above is the real Mr and Mrs. C!

[​IMG]
    This is the two month olds when they were 7 days old.[​IMG]
    Above are my two dirty birds and M&M C enjoying a dirt bath, all together

2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    And of course the acorn squash raid of a few days a go!

[​IMG]

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    [​IMG]

Above is Curly. You might be able to make out the ring on my left hand with his tiny little foot across it.

Below is Naughty Snow White.

[​IMG]

4. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Wicked cool birds, even those weird ones that seem to be running around with their heads near where their feet belong...is that what a doh-doh bird looks like- rare birds I hear! And lookie, you have a pair! [​IMG]
    I had taken pics of my little biddies and roo, but for some reason they poofed and they are gone. But I did manage to save a video of Scooter crowing....can't share it or anything else! LOL perhaps someday.
    Thanks a lot for sharing your flock.
    Kel

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    It finally happened, between 4 and 5:00 CST, Mrs. Chicken laid her first egg! She and I had just had a go around about her being naughty to Curly! I think she did this to apologize? Sparkle also laid her first egg about the same time! It was a regular "Eggstravaganza"!
    Mrs. Chicken can now have a slumber party with Mr. C. I still don't think Curly and Sparkle have had anything romance between them.

6. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Since laying her egg, Mrs. C has been very nice to the other members of the crew. She and Sparkle have become good friends and she has taken them all out for some free ranging today. Maybe after laying her egg, its like saying, "Lunch is on me everybody"! [​IMG] She still likes to be in the drivers seat however!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Awsome eggs, bet your some proud of the girls! To update you on my Penny, she still will not leave the 3 others alone, Scooter, Kathleen, Lucy-lu. I realize that all she does is chase them around so I left them all out loose with each other and the big girls in hopes that she would just go about her business, but no siree. She aparently just followed, broke them apart and such. I did not find a whole lot of feathers (eh, 5 or 6) left scattered about but I honestly don't think she is ever going to back off.
    I'll keep trying, just send good energy to my Scooter to finally stand up to miss Penny pants. People say to put them on wire so they can see each other, well they love that, Penny kicks back, eats, drinks, the other 3 do their thing and the moment the screen parts, Penny chases them around and they act like morons. Ugh.
    (I've been thinking about designing a beak to leg pully system for each time they go to peck, it sets them back or pulls a tail feather!- JK).

9. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Spook;

In another post, I told of a teaching tool I heard about to control a bad tempered rooster. It involves whacking the offensive fowl on the neck with a thin stick, I used a bamboo plant brace, very light weight and flexible. It is not meant to launch them into orbit but rather to imitate a sharp peck on the neck from an alpha or dominant bird. I have used it successfully, when I find one bird attacking or being very mean to another. It might be worth a try. One thing that bothers me is feather pulling and hard pecking. One of my girls has a beautiful, soft feather to her, and I would not allow the others to peck her. She is show material and has been in shows. And is nice to the others. It worked in her defense, and the others don't hate me for it either. They all get on great now. It might be worth consideration.
    Of course I cannot control what happens when I am not around, but it worked when I was around. Food for thought...

10. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    That is funny, I have been doing that to her when she gets after them when I'm around.
    With the roos I've had in the past I made sure they realized I was the alpha bird, and all worked out well. I have tapped Penny on the beak with my finger, then when I catch her pulling and pecking at their feathers (show or not its getting winter cold here) I yank her tail feathers! Arrrrgh.
    And yes, I do have a thin stick/twig (just before anyone misinterprets the size of said "stick") that I use as an encourager for the big chickens and little ones too.
    The big chickens have been taught that a "stick" in hand or any wood object can scoop them along and doesn't matter who, they respect the ruler!LOL.
    But I have been getting after Penny, teaching her to "find something else to do"...deter her way to the others in hopes something will distract her.
    But I do appreciate your suggestions! I will tap her and crown her royal princess pain in the butt !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: