Older Roosters Predators?

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Ive lost 2 cockerels in two weeks. One was about 14 weeks old the other was about 23 weeks. I noticed both of them were ones that had hatch mates (hatched together and raised together) which happend to be one pullet each.

I brought in 2 older roosters about 33 weeks old about 6 weeks ago. Ive never noticed any fighting between any of my roosters when Im out there. I watch them during feeding time too and there is no fighting. Im thinking they are probler getting older and of fighting age now
sad.png

I have had plans of butchering my unneeded roosters but they are just so small it would be a waist right now (about 3 - 4 lbs each weighed on a bathroom scale [my weight vs. my weight+chicken]).

Should I pen up my older roosters together and let my others have the run of the yard or should I go ahead and butcher my cockerels + one of the big roosters?

I had a Giant Cochin and a Barred Rock rooster that were raised together and free ranged all summer. One morning I went out to feed and saw the Cochin chasing the Barred Rock around, so I blocked the Cochin's path so the Rock could get away from him. Both of these roosters were very large and healthy. I went into the house for not more than 5 minutes and when I came out the Cochin was standing on top of the Barred Rock, who was dead. There was no fighting, he just ran him down and killed him. There wasn't even any blood. I think he might have crushed his windpipe. The Cochin is no longer with us.

Back
Top Bottom