My chickens were attacked

Vveno

Hatching
Sep 19, 2023
Hey everyone,

A hawk attack my flock and unfortunately one of them died. They were all in shock around my farm, specially my rooster.

Now they are back in the coop and after 4 days of the attack they do not want to leave the coop. They get out when I go there to give them treats but otherwise they stay there the whole day. I’m not sure if it’s my rooster that it’s keeping them inside because the girls are the first ones to get out when I call them.

What should I do? I thought about locking them out. (Regarding the chicken area, we put netting all around it now so no issues with hawks anymore)

My chickens also paste themselves to the indoors after an attack. Four days seems long enough. I would close the door once they come out, then stand away from the area and watch. If they seem interested in something outside the run, it may be where the danger came from. But it may be they are alerting on a new thing.

If it is a new thing it isn't necessarily a predator.

If you have something you do sitting in a chair (reading, knitting), sit out there with them as that may give them more security.

Back
Top Bottom