Rooster fending off fox?

BrookeP

Chirping
Feb 26, 2023
I would love some advice. I hatched 16 chickens in April they're about 25 weeks now. Our roosters (5) have gotten a bit aggressive. Most are manageable, one attacks my two girls constantly so now I keep my girls out of the run and they are very sad they can't go in to see their Hens when they want. I have to go in to literally protect them from this rooster. Trying to make a long story short. My cousin needs roosters because he has a fox problem and I want to get rid of a few roosters. My question is.. am I sending them to their death? I'm sad we have to get rid of them to begin with and knowing they're going to a home where a fox has taken 20+ chickens this summer I'm nervous I'm just sending them to get mauled. If I send 3 are they pretty much going to die or do they have a chance against this fox.. or foxes?

Attachments

• 20230923_170749.jpg
    20230923_170749.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230923_170658.jpg
    20230923_170658.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 21
Roosters are no match for a fox, but something needs to be done if a rooster is attacking people or hens. That isn't something you need to put up with.
Yeah... if I or my husband walks in he runs away but if it's my girls 6 and 4 y/o he runs to attack them. I've watched many videos on how to show them we are the dominant ones but does it really work? Are there ways to train them to be better? I heard once they are bad, they're bad.

Yeah... if I or my husband walks in he runs away but if it's my girls 6 and 4 y/o he runs to attack them. I've watched many videos on how to show them we are the dominant ones but does it really work? Are there ways to train them to be better? I heard once they are bad, they're bad.
There are lots of videos purporting to show how to train an aggressive rooster to behave around people, but I have yet to see one that shows how to keep a rooster from attacking other chickens. I don't think it's possible. Which means it's pretty much a her or him kind of thing unless you have separate coops/runs for them.

There are lots of videos purporting to show how to train an aggressive rooster to behave around people, but I have yet to see one that shows how to keep a rooster from attacking other chickens. I don't think it's possible. Which means it's pretty much a her or him kind of thing unless you have separate coops/runs for them.
Oh I'm sorry. Maybe a misunderstanding.. I meant he attacks my children who are 4 and 6 years old. He does great with the hens.

am I sending them to their death? I'm sad we have to get rid of them to begin with and knowing they're going to a home where a fox has taken 20+ chickens this summer I'm nervous I'm just sending them to get mauled. If I send 3 are they pretty much going to die or do they have a chance against this fox.. or foxes?
not necessarily. Foxes will go for the easiest target in their hunting area, and multiple roos are a deterrence. I have not suffered a fox attack since 2020, while a neighbour with just hens has lost several of them every year (and does not understand why I haven't, despite the answer staring him in the face: multiple roos on guard and everyone unconfined and free to run and hide here). The neighbour calls in a friend who hunts them, and he's seen and shot up to 3 at a time in fields around our garden, so they are here.

Your (and presumably your cousin's) problem is your roos are young and have no senior roo to guide them. One or both may fall victim while they are acquiring the necessary experience to protect the flock. But any survivor can train the next one and they'll get better. This is what it looks like when they know what they're doing: roos on the outside, hens in the middle, all acting on instinct and me viewing through a window:
roos on guard.JPG

Yes you will be sending them to their eventual death but what's the options here?
Let foxes eat them
Eat them yourself
Let someone else eat them
Keep them around and not let your children enjoy your hens
Keep them around and risk an injury to one of your children. Maybe a lose of an eye?
Rehome them to let someone else risk injuries

Maybe butcher them, take them to your cousins and let your family enjoy some good ol fried chicken then do some fox hunting.
You protect your kids, kids finally get to enjoy the roosters and maybe your cousin solves the fox issue..
That's a win, win, win

Back
Top Bottom